Cooling after fermentation starts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftfan

Reaction score
A few days ago I brewed a nut brown (the one from this site). Hit my OG of 1.056 cooled to 70 and pitched Notty. This was a 10 gallon batch so I have it split into 2 fermenters. One started in 12 hours and the temp rose a bit too much to 71. The second one didn't start for over 24 hours but is now chugging away at 63. I use my spare bedroom where the ambient temp is usually 65 and the floor is around 61. Long story short, forgot to close the heat register and got a bit too warm (I have plans for a ferment chamber but haven't built it yet). I closed the register and was able to get the room back to 65 in about 12 hours.
Here is my question. The warmer fermenter was very active for 24 hours at the warmer temperature. After cooling, approximately 9 degrees in 12 hours, airlock activity has stopped. Honestly, I'm not that worried about it as I think the yeast will eventually finish up, but am wondering if anyone else has had an experience with this. I am guessing that the yeast have a bit of temperature shock and are going to take a while to acclimate? Maybe they finished fermentation in 36 hours?

I haven't experienced anything like a 9 degree drop, but from what I've read, I feel that the yeast are probably shocked. (I've read that no more than 4 degrees temp change in a day is recommended.)

Back