Odd gravity reading -1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazingsun81

Reaction score
Pre-frementation I had 1.060 after 2 weeks I keep getting -1.030. What does this mean. I can't find any info about a negative reading and how would I throw this into a calculation .?

Do you have a picutre? i can' tthink of a hydrometer that would be at a homebrew shop that would have that much of a negative scale.
Also, the negative should be like .990, shouldn't start with a 1. something

I'll post a pic when i get when I get home, yes it is a hydrometer .= )
I did several test and all came up -1.030

A guy at my work makes wine , he was saying its common to have a negative reading when its wine cause alcohol is lighter the water. Which make sense cause I dump in a lot of sugar.

More of Jesus... this dude is turning cider into shine! :tank:

I have nothing more to contribute as I have no idea. Lol :ban:

Where would a negative reading be on a hydrometer that is measuring specific gravity? If the gravity of the must starts at say 1.090 (+/- a gallon of water with a little more than 2 lbs of sugar dissolved in it) and the yeast works on the dissolved sugar and so the gravity drops until the wine has about the same density as water (1.000 - still SOME sugar in it, but a fair amount of alcohol) and it continues to drop until there is no trace of fermentable sugar left and the density of that liquor is now less than water because alcohol is not as dense as water and so the gravity reading might be 0.996. Point nine nine six is not zero and zero will be less dense than 100 percent pure alcohol ( 1= water, .996 is a typically dry wine). A gravity reading (specific gravity as a unit) of MINUS 1.030 is... is ... well it's beyond my imagination... An hydrometer measuring density is simply not designed to measure that lack of density. I don't know if the vacuum on the moon would have that kind of "density".

I'll take a picture of my hydrometer when I get home, Im not making it up it has a negative value up to 40,i dont know what else to tell yoy you.

I'll take a picture of my hydrometer when I get home, Im not making it up it has a negative value up to 40,i dont know what else to tell yoy you.

You simply CAN'T have a negative specific gravity. It is impossible. Some measurements simply cannot be negative. Specific gravity is one of these measurements. The specific gravity is a ratio of the density of a substance to the density of pure water.

If your density is less than pure water, than it won't be negative. It will simply be less than 1 (but greater than 0).

The only possible explanation is that you're reading your hydrometer incorrectly. I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of your hydrometer reading. My guess is that your hydrometer has several scales on it, and you're reading the wrong one. Or maybe there is a scale next to it that has dashes that are resembling a negative symbol to you.

After some more research on this I discovery that I am a idiot and don't know how to use a hydrometer = ) . thanks everyone for your info

Back