EBIAB 15gallon Pot setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattnday

Reaction score
I have my new SPIKE Brewing 15 gallon pot and love it.

Now that I have it I am realizing to finish it I would like to install a hop blocker and some sort of steaming stand to keep the brewing bag off of my heating element.

My heating element will be about 3 1/4" from the bottom of the pot.

I have yet to find anything that I could just drop in with at least 3 1/2" height.

I have searched Amazon and the threads and not found anything quite yet.

Any suggestions on where to go or what to use?

I have my new SPIKE Brewing 15 gallon pot and love it.

Now that I have it I am realizing to finish it I would like to install a hop blocker and some sort of steaming stand to keep the brewing bag off of my heating element.

My heating element will be about 3 1/4" from the bottom of the pot.

I have yet to find anything that I could just drop in with at least 3 1/2" height.

I have searched Amazon and the threads and not found anything quite yet.

Any suggestions on where to go or what to use?

You could make a false bottom out of a perforated SS sheet and use long SS bolts for standoffs. If you don't want to DIY, then this guy (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-146056/#post1666507) could probably help you out

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413571324.096797.jpg. This is my idea I plan on using for my keggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That is a great idea

Is the flat bottom stainless and do you have a link on where to buy

That plus a few 4" screws and I would be in business

I haven't built one yet, but traditional going this route a cheaper option is using a aluminum pizza crisper, you can get them off amazon around 10.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413645034.320739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unless they've changed suppliers, Spike uses Concord Kettles for their builds. Concord makes a stainless steel steamer insert for their kettles that you can check out here. For the 15 gallon kettle, the 17 inch steamer insert should fit, and it is 4.25 inches high

Unless they've changed suppliers, Spike uses Concord Kettles for their builds. Concord makes a stainless steel steamer insert for their kettles that you can check out here. For the 15 gallon kettle, the 17 inch steamer insert should fit, and it is 4.25 inches high

For future searching reference we do not use the Concord kettles so this would not work. Jaybird at Norcal Brewing should be able to help with any custom false bottom needs.

-SB

Reviving an old post, here goes.

I'm looking at the same 15 gallon Spike kettle for my eBIAB setup. Two questions:

Do you have any concerns about the element being exposed to air?

95% of the time, I do 5 gallon batches but sometimes 10 gallons. From what I can gather, doing 10 gallons in the 15 gallon kettle is cutting it pretty close. Would you recommend stepping up to a 20 gallon kettle?

Thanks!

Reviving an old post, here goes.

I'm looking at the same 15 gallon Spike kettle for my eBIAB setup. Two questions:

Do you have any concerns about the element being exposed to air?

95% of the time, I do 5 gallon batches but sometimes 10 gallons. From what I can gather, doing 10 gallons in the 15 gallon kettle is cutting it pretty close. Would you recommend stepping up to a 20 gallon kettle?

Thanks!

If you will be doing 5 gal 95% of the time, I think you would find a 20 gallon kettle inconveniently large for 5 gallon batches. It's nice to have the right size tools for the job most of the time. A 20 gallon kettle is huge!

Rather than getting one expensive kettle, you could get a 10-12 gallon and a 20 gallon Concord stainless kettles for the same money.

Sizing your kettle for 5% of your brewing doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

just so you can kind of see a comparison - i have 2 kettles
9 gallon for 5 gallon batches (off brand, unsure of who makes it, but its' stainless and bought forever ago)
20 gallon for 10-15 gallon batches (concord kettle)

20160702_213435 by Noah Scott, on Flickr

hopefully this shows what he meant by huge :mug:

Back