different type of spa panel, wiring question (50 amp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So, i have a 4 prong dryer outlet and my father in law bought me this gfci (not my pic, but same one) do i need to just follow the color with a 4 prong cord? Or do anything special?

Also, we will be moving in about a year or so. If there is a 3 prong drier outlet. i just jumper the neutral to the ground, right?

img0473op.jpg

Thanks yall!

Is this the type with the loop in the back where the wires pass through? Who is the manufacturer and what part number?

To answer your question, Yes.
Dryer cord to the right, Green to the set-screw terminal with the bare wire.

Looking at the panel though leaves me feeling ill.

Not the best design IMO.

Be careful,
'da Kid

Is this the type with the loop in the back where the wires pass through? Who is the manufacturer and what part number?

Yep! sure is... i don't have the unit with me at the moment. I will tonight though. He is sending it with my mother in law who is going to visit my wife today.

To answer your question, Yes.
Dryer cord to the right, Green to the set-screw terminal with the bare wire.

Looking at the panel though leaves me feeling ill.

Not the best design IMO.

Be careful,
'da Kid

Thanks!! It's a dumb questions as it's obvious, but I've never dealt with this before (done enough wiring in my days, though).

L, on the L1 and L2 areas stand for load (coming from the wall) and the T, on the T1 and T2 area go to whatever it is protecting... is what i'm gathering.

Bumping it back up because i just ordered all my parts - just to make sure on this GFCI - is this the correct wiring for it?

purple = neutral as i couldn't get white to show up easily

gfci_zpsevjqlvge.jpg

Well, scratch that... I took my receptical out of the wall and there is a ground back there folded away. Looks like I'll be changing that out and call it a day!

Well, scratch that... I took my receptical out of the wall and there is a ground back there folded away. Looks like I'll be changing that out and call it a day!

Great. Better solution, even if you spent some time pursuing alternatives before you found the ground wire. :)

Well, the breaker is tripping as soon as I plug it in... Which I'm happy I'm safe. But confused and sad!
So, to test it, I plugged it into my 3 wire dryer cord. Immediately popped, press the reset... And as soon as I do, pop! So I re check my wiring... Middle wire to neutral, 2 side wires to the black and one to red... And this is all on L side (on the right).
I even pulled the ground wire out of the wall and attached that as well.
So I feel like the gfci is busted unfortunately... But my monthly spending budget is right around the cost of another one of these new... (my father in law picked it up used for me). So hopefully I'm doing something wrong here and it can be fixed? I'm going to check all the wiring under the gfci tomorrow and see if anything is loose. But I'm doubtful.

Any ideas??

Also, I thought I'd mention that there was no load on the gfci. I doubt that would make a difference e as 120v doesn't need anything on it to run properly... But thought I'd mention it... Just testing the gfci by itself

Also, I thought I'd mention that there was no load on the gfci. I doubt that would make a difference e as 120v doesn't need anything on it to run properly... But thought I'd mention it... Just testing the gfci by itself

Ignore me - L = Line / T = Tap or Transformer

Don't trust me one bit (and have someone verify if I'm right) but I would expect the L1/L2 side to be going to the item you want to protect, since that is the load.

thats what i had in my head, but didn't want to sound like an idiot lol

however, i think my issue is null...

this morning before work, i got a wild hair in my ass. I'm in the middle of unpacking a move, slowly... so this morning i went searching for my multimeter. Found it quickly (surprisingly!). tossed a 9v battery in and checked a few things - note : i've never dealt with a contactor before...

Plugged it in, heard the loud thunk....

Outlet from the wall is getting 244v
right at the line in to GFCI 244v
the contactor power in is getting 244v
the contactor power out is getting 244v

so i'm getting all the power through the GFCI, then i remembered that it's a contactor, and i remembered they are mechanical... and right in the center of the contactor is a small black...what i'll call "button". As soon as you apply power to the GFCI, the "button" goes down and you'll hear a thunk... which is the contactor getting power and turning on :eek:

So... the GFCI isn't tripping at all... i've just never dealt with contactors before and am now thoroughly educated...

thats what i had in my head, but didn't want to sound like an idiot lol

however, i think my issue is null...

this morning before work, i got a wild hair in my ass. I'm in the middle of unpacking a move, slowly... so this morning i went searching for my multimeter. Found it quickly (surprisingly!). tossed a 9v battery in and checked a few things - note : i've never dealt with a contactor before...

Plugged it in, heard the loud thunk....

Outlet from the wall is getting 244v
right at the line in to GFCI 244v
the contactor power in is getting 244v
the contactor power out is getting 244v

so i'm getting all the power through the GFCI, then i remembered that it's a contactor, and i remembered they are mechanical... and right in the center of the contactor is a small black...what i'll call "button". As soon as you apply power to the GFCI, the "button" goes down and you'll hear a thunk... which is the contactor getting power and turning on :eek:

So... the GFCI isn't tripping at all... i've just never dealt with contactors before and am now thoroughly educated...

Ignore me - L = Line / T = Tap or Transformer

Don't trust me one bit (and have someone verify if I'm right) but I would expect the L1/L2 side to be going to the item you want to protect, since that is the load.

it's the other way around - i thought the same thing at first...
The wiring diagram on the lid states the L is for Line in, T is out to the device. da kid was right as well!

:mug:

Back