Brew stand/cart material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been planning my eBIAB setup, and the only thing I can't figure out is the table or cart that everything will be sitting on while I brew.

I thought about a sleek, sexy stainless kitchen prep table, but metal is a conductor, and would cause heat loss.

Wood is an insulator, but I worry that boiling temps would ruin the finish.

Plastic is also an insulator, but could melt.

Tile top? Or any of the above with a silicone mat under the kettle?

+1 for the wire cart, I order my from theshelvingstore.com really happy with it. I have bottom ports on on my BK and MLT and the wire shelves were easy to mod. to allow this.

1412730672849.jpg

+1 for the wire cart, I order my from theshelvingstore.com really happy with it. I have bottom ports on on my BK and MLT and the wire shelves were easy to mod. to allow this.

Is that an 18" or 24"? How do you like the size?

Seems to fit your pots pretty well. I had planned to go with wood but unless I use recycled pallets (been on my mind lately after seeing some nice builds in the DIY forum) I don't know that I could save any money over one of these wire shelves.

I used one of the SS tables from SAMs and used plasti-dip on the bottom rim on my keggels

I'd need to coat my kettle, but a plastic/silicone mat would probably do the same thing.

Actually seeing it, I like the idea of wire racks. Would make it easy to mount pumps, a chiller, and anything else that may need mounting.

I used a Werner platform ladder to hold two burners and a small Werner ladder for pump, rims, and controller.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412772226.603858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I thought about a sleek, sexy stainless kitchen prep table, but metal is a conductor, and would cause heat loss.
I think that heat loss is completely negligible and can be ignored.

Over the years I've used both a wood table (with cork mats) and a stainless table and I've never noticed any measurable difference in boil rate or heat rate.

Wood table with cork mats under the boil kettle:

IMG_5206.jpg

Similarly sized stainless table, no cork mats under the boil kettle:

IMG_2668_2.jpg

A couple of inches away from the kettle, the table is barely warm so there's not that much heat conduction.

If you're concerned about it and want to go stainless, you can always get some cork mats for it. With my previous wood table the mats were a requirement as the table was varnished.

Kal

Back