is it common practice to increase ferm temps late n fermentation with high gravity be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I made a RIS two weeks ago with OG of 1.008-1.110, pitched huge starter of WLP 002, lots of blowoff first 36hrs then calmed down. It's been sitting at around 64-66deg in my basement and I plan on letting it sit in primary for 4 weeks total. Is it common practice to up the ferm temp say the last week just to make sure the yeast clean up and hit the FG numbers? I plan on taking the first FG reading next week, 1.028 is the goal. If need be should I bring it upstairs and put it in a closet where temp range is 70-72deg if I'm off my FG number and is that to hot a temp? Thanks.

If you have a stalled fermentation you can try that to see if you get a few more points taken off. Since you had a large starter your probably ok.

Sent from my kegerator

Typically, the temp is raised near the end of fermentation to get the yeast a bit more active and clean up byproducts, referred to as a diacetyl rest. I've read where people wait until 80% of fermentation is complete. I don't take gravity readings during fermentation because I don't want to risk infection, but mainly bc I am lazy. I wait until the Krausen starts to drop, then ramp my temps up

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Typically, the temp is raised near the end of fermentation to get the yeast a bit more active and clean up byproducts, referred to as a diacetyl rest. I've read where people wait until 80% of fermentation is complete. I don't take gravity readings during fermentation because I don't want to risk infection, but mainly bc I am lazy. I wait until the Krausen starts to drop, then ramp my temps up

Krausen dropped prob a week ago its just been "chilling" not cold literally for the last week I'm assuming the yeast are still in there cleaning up. That's why I'm waiting until the 3-3 1/2 week mark to take the first gravity reading I'm assuming that fermentation will be finished by then. Should I bring it upstairs just to make sure the yeast clean up everything or is it not really neccessary and is the 70-72deg mark to high, just don't want any off flavors although with such a big beer then being secondaried on bourbon oak cubes I'm guessing that any off flavor would be covered up. Should I just wait until I take a gravity reading and then go from there. I pitched a stepped up 5.5L starter which according to brewers friend calculator was more than enough yeast.

You would be fine bringing it upstairs. You won't get any temp related off flavors, those would usually produced in the first few days of fermentation if the temps were high. After bringing upstairs, I'd say rouse the yeast some to hopefully get some back in suspension since the majority of the yeast is like flocculated by now

You would be fine bringing it upstairs. You won't get any temp related off flavors, those would usually produced in the first few days of fermentation if the temps were high. After bringing upstairs, I'd say rouse the yeast some to hopefully get some back in suspension since the majority of the yeast is like flocculated by now

Ok guess my only questions are is this a necessary process with this high gravity of a beer or something I should do if when I check fg in a week and it's still not where it needs to be then I'd take it upstairs. First hg beer so still trying to figure out the process just don't want a stuck fermentation even though I think I should b ok with such a large starter.

Its not necesasry but very helpful. Unless your brewing and fermentation environment are the best for the yeast, you want to help them along in any way you can't. Try to give them the healthiest environment for fermentation but it doesn't hurt to give them an extra boost.

I start ramping up temps on the big beers usually after day 3-4. This can be as simple as wrapping the carboy in a few layers to contain the exothermic process of fermentation, or as advanced as a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.

Did this with my 11% Belgian Strong Ale and had no issues.

On most of our beers we use WLP001 which I start at 65 for 3 days then ramp up 1 degree per day for a few days then ride it out until the yeast are done. When I start raising the temp the beer is still showing active fermentation. If you wait until it's noticeably slow you're probably past the point where you wanted to start ramping it up.

I don't leave any of our beers in primary once the yeast have finished as they aren't going to get "more done". Unless you like the yeasty flavor in your beer then by all means leave it till it hits the point you like it - otherwise I'm not sure why people leave their beer on the yeast for an extended period of time. I simply condition in the keg for periods of time appropriate to the style.

On most of our beers we use WLP001 which I start at 65 for 3 days then ramp up 1 degree per day for a few days then ride it out until the yeast are done. When I start raising the temp the beer is still showing active fermentation. If you wait until it's noticeably slow you're probably past the point where you wanted to start ramping it up.

I don't leave any of our beers in primary once the yeast have finished as they aren't going to get "more done". Unless you like the yeasty flavor in your beer then by all means leave it till it hits the point you like it - otherwise I'm not sure why people leave their beer on the yeast for an extended period of time. I simply condition in the keg for periods of time appropriate to the style.

I guess my thinking was leaving it in primary so long so the yeast left in suspension can do their cleaning up. I see what your saying about once the yeast drop out they drop out, in which case I guess if I was still a little high on my gravity reading bringing it upstairs and rousing the yeast may hopefully get them to finish the job.

Back