Lesser of two evil ferm temps situation for wlp002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Pitching a huge 5L starter into my ris Tomm. However I usually ferment in my basement where temps are 61-64 deg except that now with the weather being what it is our heat doesn't run much during the day so ambient temps are now around 58-59deg so that's option one which may b to cool. Option 2 is in an upstairs closet where temps are 68-70 deg which is prob on the higher end. So one thing I def don't want is this fermentation to stall out so I'm mashing this beer low 149-150 in hopes to put out a more fermentable wort. So which choice would b better even though neither are ideal. I could also pitch the yeast say around 64-66 let it start working, move it to the basement until primary ferm is over then bring it upstairs for a couple weeks to finish out. Trying to get a fg of 1.026-1.028. Thanks for any thoughts.

I think your plan sounds like the right one. I usually do his with all my beer. The fact that you're pitching such a large starter should be helpful.

Leave it in the basement. Turn the heat up in your house and go get a hotel room.

I would leave it down in the basement because fermentation will heat it up a few degrees. Wrap it up with blankets to maintain the temps as much as possible.

You have a solid logical plan. As stated, 002 with a large starter will do fine with lower Temps your ambient of 59 translates to mid 60s in the churning wort. Pitching warm will get it going, and keeping it in the cooler basement will maintain that temp. Bring it upstairs to finish out for a week or two. Then bring that bad boy into the basement to nap in a cool spot until winter.

I'm following a similar schedule for my Wee Heavy. It's in my chiller @ 62°F until primary is over. I'll let it free rise to 70°F or so to clean up any remaining yeast products, then set it and forget it until Thanksgiving or so. The basement is a constant 60°F over the summer on concrete.

You have a solid logical plan. As stated, 002 with a large starter will do fine with lower Temps your ambient of 59 translates to mid 60s in the churning wort. Pitching warm will get it going, and keeping it in the cooler basement will maintain that temp. Bring it upstairs to finish out for a week or two. Then bring that bad boy into the basement to nap in a cool spot until winter.

I'm following a similar schedule for my Wee Heavy. It's in my chiller @ 62°F until primary is over. I'll let it free rise to 70°F or so to clean up any remaining yeast products, then set it and forget it until Thanksgiving or so. The basement is a constant 60°F over the summer on concrete.

Wouldn't it need to be racked to a secondary if you were bulk aging for 6+ months?

Wouldn't it need to be racked to a secondary if you were bulk aging for 6+ months?

That's true. It would be a step I would take in getting it off the e yeast. If I was letting it sit for a month I'd leave it alone. I don't want autolysis to happen and give me funky flavors.

Back