Help / Ideas about Fermentation Fridge Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been brewing for about 12 years in Texas. In this time period I have run the gamut of fermentation chambers. I used to have an insulated chamber in my garage run by an air conditioner. This was easy but not very efficient. I then switched to a small fridge inside the chamber. This was probably more efficient but it was difficult to get the hot air out...

So for the past few years I moved the small fridge into the bathtub in the guest bathroom. I built a stand so it is high enough to transfer via gravity into a keg. Works great but it is in the bathroom!

So I am looking for ideas here. I could move the fridge into another room but what about spills, fermentation blowups and everything else that can happen?

Out in the garage was the best, but the heat is ridiculous here in Texas. The little fridge needs to fight 100deg ambient which is not good. I do not have a basement either.

What to do? Thanks for your input!

I have my fermentation chamber in the garage here in North Tx, and have not had any issues maintaining a constant temperature. The difference with mine over a standard fridge is that there is a fan inside, which keeps the air in constant circulation. I am sure this helps.

FermChamber.jpg

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I tend to just brew ales in the warmer months and one lager a year in the winter. Do you brew in the summer? Also, do you do lagers at all?

Back