Dry Hops and Diastatic Enzymes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
I've been reading through some older brewing manuals researching secondary fermentations in old British beers, and I came across the following in The Principles and Practice of Brewing by Walter J. Sykes:

During secondary fermentation the more resistant maltodextrins are gradually and slowly degraded by the hydrolytic actions of the special yeasts concerned, assisted by that of the diastase of the dry hops when these are added at the time of racking, and perhaps also to some extent by the carbonic acid existing under pressure. (p.539)

If I understand this correctly, he's suggesting that the dry hops introduce diastatic enzymes that aid in further breakdown of dextrins in the beer, leading to further fermentation by saccharomyces and brettanomyces?

Can anyone here confirm this is possible, or help me make sense of it?

(Worth noting that, as I understand the process, we're talking about beers that were aged for some time on these hops; so the process is a bit different from modern dry hopping.)

Thanks ajdelange. Someone else pointed me towards an earlier article on p.107 here as well, in case anyone else is interested in this in future.

Back