question about MAINTAINED PUSH BUTTON LED ILLUMINATED switches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingChemist

Reaction score
ok new to electric stuff in general. but saw the push button switches on auberins and automationdirect and was saddened by the price. i found these on ebay:
2PCS 16MM GREEN ROUND MAINTAINED PUSH BUTTON LED ILLUMINATED 110V 5 PINS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-16MM-G...372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dbb7c504

and I am wondering if I can use them. I want to use them to switch on and off a line into an outlet (it will be controlling my pump). Would I need to purchase anything else with them? how does wiring one of these compare to a wall switch?

Thanks for any advice! :mug:

Yup, that'd be 160W. You'd likely need that switch to control the primary side of a relay with the pump on the secondary side.

it says in the desc it is a 3A switch. if your pump only draws 1.4 amps it will work fine.

I didnt zoom the picture, you are correct. I wouldnt use this without a relay then. (which kinda defeats the cheap price)

it says in the desc it is a 3A switch. if your pump only draws 1.4 amps it will work fine.

I have a few same switches in my possession. Yes, they marked 3Amp, but I wouldn't trust that rating considering how this switch is manufactured. It's a very fragile.

Sure you can use it if your pump consumes less then 100Watt.
Where do get the 100W limit from?

The specs on the switch say if using AC it support up to 3A at 240VAC, and if using DC it supports up to 1A at 30VDC.

Since your pumps are 120VAC / 1.4A, the switch should work fine.

I can't speak for the quality/durability, but 1.4A is less than half way to the 3A limit (when using AC).

DC current ratings are typically always lower (as the specs mention).

Kal

check out newark.com

they have hundreds of switches like that for about $5-8 from reputable manufacturers. I get most of my electronic parts from there.

Where do get the 100W limit from?

The specs on the switch say if using AC it support up to 3A at 240VAC, and if using DC it supports up to 1A at 30VDC.

Do you mind to read my post located just above your question?

This 3A at the switch spec is chinese 3A. I wouldn't trust this.

Do you mind to read my post located just above your question? This 3A at the switch spec is chinese 3A. I wouldn't trust this.

I did read that post. You wrote:

I have a few same switches in my possession. Yes, they marked 3Amp, but I wouldn't trust that rating considering how this switch is manufactured. It's a very fragile.

Perfectly fine for you to question the quality of the switch. But before that you wrote something that was very black and white:

Sure you can use it if your pump consumes less then 100Watt.

It's one thing to say "I don't think the quality of the switch is any good so be careful and don't run it near the rated capacity". But you stated that the switch should only be used at 100W or less like it was a hard and fast number that you somehow calculated (the OP admitted he's new to electric stuff and doesn't understand current/volts/wattage).

So to help the OP, I think you'd agree that what you really mean is something like:

"I've used these switches and I find the quality of the contacts lacking, so you'll probably be ok if your pump consumes less then about 100 Watts or so, but that's just my opinion. I would not use it for higher current devices."

Given he's new to electric stuff (per his original post) that would probably be less confusing and not have him wondering where your numbers came from. I'm an EE and I found it confusing why you'd state that.

Kal

Back