Temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southfieldbrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Imperial Stout yesterday. I am holding the temp at 67'-68' which is the low end of the yeasts optimum range WLP001 Cal. Ale. How long do I hold at this temp before letting it rise? The OG was 1.100. I'm concerned that holding it at the low end I may not get good attenuation. I pitched a 2 liter starter. 24 hours in and I already have 2 in. of krausen on the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

67-68 is not too low. That is at the high end of where I would start it. Generally, I start american ale yeast more around 62 and let it climb to 68-70. You are good - but, I would not be in a hurry to elevate that temperature on a big beer like that.

I would let it go 7-10 days at that temp and then maybe a degree every day, or every other day up to 71-72 at the most. I think you are perfectly fine where you are at. A beer with that much sugar in it can have temperatures get away from it in a hurry as the yeast will generate a lot of heat while fermenting.

Latest posts

Back