how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long should you expect for beer to mature after bottling (taste wise). I've read there are many variables, so I'm looking to see if there are any general times.
ex
fruit beers using natural fruit about 1 month
fruit beers using extract 2 weeks
stouts 1 month
pils 2 weeks
and so on

It's tough to get a list as you have shown. Very generally, more flavorful brews and brews that depend on more complex flavors require more time for the flavors to meld together. Higher ABV also adds to this. So an RIS with bourbon and vanilla could take quite some time. Same with a big Belgian.

Conversely, "simpler" brews are pretty quick. If they only rely on hops (like an IPA) you don't have to wait at all. Same goes for a hefeweizen.

Edit: I doubt anyone will ever get you a timeline like you have shown (1 week, 1 month, etc.). You will always see a range. Something like this:

RIS - 6-12 months
Low ABV Belgian - 2-3 months
Hef - ASAP
IPA/APA - ASAP

Thanks freisste. That makes a lot of sense with my concerns. I'm trying to compair my friends IPA you can drink 2 weeks after bottling with the Belgium beers I like to make.

I've brewed up maybe 6 or so IPA's so far and had one that tasted similar to Ranger after 3 weeks, but when my friend finally stopped by a week later it wasn't even the same beer. It made me change up my typical situation from 3/3/3 to 4/4/1 as I don't like changes.

rodwha I experienced the same with one of my Belgium beers. It tasted like one of Samuel Adams Special Batched Verloren. Also what are you talking about when you give the ratios of 3/3/3 and 4/4/1? Are they the fermintation/rack/bottle in time(weeks or months?)?

Sorry. It's the typical 3 weeks ferment followed by 3 weeks conditioning, and then 3 days in the fridge to carb properly, but mine is all in weeks giving it 4 weeks in the fermentor, 4 weeks conditioning, and 1 week in the fridge, which helps clarity as well as I do nothing usually, though I do have Whirlflock.

For my beers, its about the fermentation time. Most of my beers will be done in 10-12 days, although some (a big Belgian Golden Strong right now) kept working for over two weeks. After fermentation is done, I rack to secondary if I'm dry hopping of adding fruit. If not, then its ready to keg/bottle. I bottled big 1.100 RIS 14 days after fermentation and it tasted good. I'm hopeful that it will bottle age well, too, but it's fine now.

I ferment for 3-4 weeks. Even though the specific gravity has been converted isn't better to have the yeast cake clean at that point?

Back