What is my BIAB Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
Doing my first BIAB batch today and want to know how to calculate my efficiency. When I first entered the recipe into Brewer's Friend I used a 65% efficiency and it said my boil gravity would be 1.048. But right after mashing the OG was 1.052, this corresponds to an efficiency of 70% in Brewer's Friend. So is my efficiency 70%?

Mash temp was 154F. 60 minute mash, no sparge, no mashout (forgot to do it).

Thanks.

If it's the efficiency field in the recipe editor, then it would be brewhouse eff. When you hit Brew it! after saving the recipe, you can input all your numbers (mash volume/gravity, boil v/g, etc) in the Log Entry tab.
What I did in my first batches was use a default BH eff at 75% and then adjust the numbers in the recipe until matching what I got in the end

If it's the efficiency field in the recipe editor, then it would be brewhouse eff. When you hit Brew it! after saving the recipe, you can input all your numbers (mash volume/gravity, boil v/g, etc) in the Log Entry tab.
What I did in my first batches was use a default BH eff at 75% and then adjust the numbers in the recipe until matching what I got in the end

Ah yes I forgot about that. 70% brewhouse efficiency is what I entered.

Looks like I got 77% conversion efficiency... not bad for my first BIAB, no sparge, no mashout, LHBS-crushed grains :mug:

Back