dark bread in mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
hi all!

I was thinking about making a porter and put a local dark brad with a bit of sweetness into the mash. I think it could make the porter a bit special. I will use Thomas Fawcet maris otter pale ale, brown malt, chocolade malt and dark malt and some crystalmalt.

is the use of bread a good or bad idea? why do it? because I can!;)

cheers

I think this is a great idea. There are traditional beers (kvass, for example) that rely on fermenting bread, and I think it'll give you a nice kick.

In my experience as a baker, most breads have either zero or very little added fat (butter, oil, etc.). But I think that could be the one potential problem--more than a tiny bit of fat in the beer will kill head retention. So maybe see if you can figure that out.

I guess the other question would be whether it will make a difference. To get the best sense of how the bread beer tastes, I think you should consider cutting down on the dark malts in the beer.

What's the bread like, besides dark?

oh yes the fat might be problem yes even though there is not much.
the bread is pretty sweet and malty.
seems to contain "sourmilk" dont know if that exist outside scandinavia
dark syrup, malt syrup brown sugar, graham, rye a few ingredients.
maybe if i was to bake my own and use water instead of milk.

thanks for the reply

I would use something like rye/pumpernickel or French baguettes - something that doesn't usually get added fat in the dough. Plus caraway seeds would be a really cool flavor I'm betting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back