Yeasy Bay Funktown Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I was pretty curious about the blend to when Yeast buy went live this morning. Anybody else pick any up? just curious as to what recipe you had planned for this blend.

There sold out i'm sure somebody is brewing something up this weekend. I was thinking of doing a simple centennial/cascade pale ale.

I ended up getting a vial of it also, I'm going to brew up a nice easy drinking pale ale with Citra and cascade I think.

Based on the timing of your posts it sounds like you haven't finished your beer yet, but I am curious to know how it turns out with this yeast. I have some Yeast Bay Vermont Ale which I am going to use for my first all grain coming up, and I am thinking I might try the Funktown for the next batch. Just trying to imagine what the end product might be like with the yeast.

I'll be trying it soon too. Doing a split batch Amarillo/Nelson Sauvin IIPA. Half will get a strong pitch of the Vermont Ale yeast and the other half will get the Funktown. Can't wait to see how these each turn out. Can't brew this weekend but probably will next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I actually haven't done this yet but I have the vials (I got the VT ale yeast also) so I'm going to do a 10 gallon batch then split to 5 gallons with VT ale yeast in one and Funktown in the other. I will go back and update this once I do it, probably end of April or so by the time that I get to it.

so folks who are using this yeast (or planning to) - will you be leaving this in primary or secondary for several months to let the brett do its thing, or will you do a usual 2-3 weeks then bottle? the Yeast Bar writes that the brett is "a unique strain of Brettanomyces that is well suited for primary fermentation" but given the 58 B cell/vial, once your starer is done you'll have mostly sacch (unless you use malto dextrine in it, maybe...)

if bottling after 2-3 weeks: how will you handle priming? i'd be tempted to put the beer in bottles without any priming sugar, since there will be a good amount of residual sugar after the sacch has finished its job but plenty for the brett to chew through and carbonate the beer... or maybe there will be too much residual sugar?

thoughts?

I hadn't really thought too far ahead on this, and it's about the third Brett or sour beer I've done so I'm thinking I'll leave it in secondary longer than the standard IIPA, see how it develops after a few weeks. Really not thinking this will go in the bottle right away.

Brett as a primary strain finishes quick and clean like sacch yeast does. This being blended might take more time but I think the brett strains were selected with the goal of finishing quickly. I'll probably do a simple pale ale on a normal 2-3 week timeline for the first go and see what happens.

I did a basic Pale Ale recipe (70% 2-Row, 30% Wheat, and 10% Carahell) with .3 oz Millennium @ 60 mins and 3 oz Azacca in the whirlpool. Made a liter starter and had airlock activity within 5 hours. I plan on leaving it in primary for 10 - 14 days and then transfer to secondary to see what the Brett does.

Any updates on how this yeast worked out for those who were going to use it?

I tried this yeast in a IIPA about a month back. It stalled out at 1.020 when my temp control crapped out a week into fermentation. Ambient temp in room is 60. It's finally down to about 1.014 now, so I assume the Brett has started eating things up. I was thinking of adding a little extra simple sugar and rousing the yeast. It has dropped pretty clear at this point.

I tried this yeast in a IIPA about a month back. It stalled out at 1.020 when my temp control crapped out a week into fermentation. Ambient temp in room is 60. It's finally down to about 1.014 now, so I assume the Brett has started eating things up. I was thinking of adding a little extra simple sugar and rousing the yeast. It has dropped pretty clear at this point.

Thanks.

Anyone have thoughts as to when it would be safe to bottle this strain? I mean from the standpoint of FG.

Anyone have thoughts as to when it would be safe to bottle this strain? I mean from the standpoint of FG.

Nobody can answer this question. Maybe 1.020, maybe 1.014, maybe 1.006. It's important to do a forced ferment test to see the limit of fermentability on your wort. Then, with that information, you can truly know if its Done.

Nobody can answer this question. Maybe 1.020, maybe 1.014, maybe 1.006. It's important to do a forced ferment test to see the limit of fermentability on your wort. Then, with that information, you can truly know if its Done.

Seems like a shaky strain...

Any positive reviews on this one yet?

Taste wise I can say that this is quite promising. Even when still at 1.020 I thought this yeast created some depth of taste that the Vermont ale yeast on its own could not. (I pitched side by side in the same wort). Once this dries up ill post further notes.

Taste wise I can say that this is quite promising. Even when still at 1.020 I thought this yeast created some depth of taste that the Vermont ale yeast on its own could not. (I pitched side by side in the same wort). Once this dries up ill post further notes.

Bottled this today. It came down to 1.012 and stayed there for awhile, like weeks. So into the bottles it goes. I had been planning on dry hopping this with Citra, but I liked the taste so much as is that I decided to not mess with it. It is still a very clear beer, which surprises me since the conan strains I've tried both refuse to settle out. Can't wait to try this carbed up and a little colder. Very promising! Much better than I expected.

So I thought that I should add my experience with this thread so far to date since this was the first link that came up (aside from the Yeast Bay website) when I searched about the strain on google.

I made an IPA on June 21, 2014. It's currently (as of July 20th) in secondary, has been there for a few weeks now. Approximate recipe is below:

2 Row US - 58%
Wheat Malt German - 21%
Crystal 40L - 14%
Acid Malt - 4%
Cara-Pils - 3%

.25 oz cascade 10 min
.25 oz cascade 15 min
.25 oz cascade 30 min
.50 oz cascade FWH
.25 oz cascade Whirlpool
.25 oz citra 30 min
.50 oz citra FWH
.25 oz citra Whirlpool

My post boil OG was 1.074, a little higher than I was shooting for but that's ok, it's an IPA. Over the first couple days in primary I had some good action and after 12 days the SG was at 1.035. Temperature was controlled at 68F for the first 5 days, then to 72F for the remainder of the time. I moved it over to secondary from there and it has been sitting in secondary since 7/3/14 still at 72F.

I checked it on 7/17/14 and found the at the SG was down to 1.018. Checked today and again I'm sitting at 1.017. I thought that Brett Trois was quicker working than that. Anyway I'm going to let it sit for another week or so, that will make it over full month in fermentation than check again. I may end up adding something to help dry it out a little bit but I think that the brett should keep on working.

I can say that this beer tastes awesome out of the sample jar. There is a really nice fruit flavor that has citrus in it (my guess is from the hops and the VT ale yeast) but it's also getting some very light stone fruit flavors like peach. Really hopefully for this beer because it's so great out of the carboy.

One thing that I did notice is that it's not as bitter as it could be for an IPA (hence the title, "Kinda-IPA"). I would say that 5 years ago, this would be considered a moderate IPA in terms of bitterness, but now it's more on the pale ale side than the IPA side. The bitterness is smoother than I expected but I suspect that's from the FWH. Very nice beer though. I'll update this link once I bottle with the FG and other statistics.

Well since I started the thread I should probably add something...

I don't have my notes on the brew day and the beer is gone. But I pretty much brewed a SNPA clone if I remember right. FG got to be somewhere around 1.014 IF I remember correctly. It was really good. It was fruitier than I expected. Everyone loved it when they tried it and kept drinking it after there first glass. I will try this blend out again soon.

Anybody have any updates on this strain?

So I thought that I should add my experience with this thread so far to date since this was the first link that came up (aside from the Yeast Bay website) when I searched about the strain on google.

I made an IPA on June 21, 2014. It's currently (as of July 20th) in secondary, has been there for a few weeks now. Approximate recipe is below:

2 Row US - 58%
Wheat Malt German - 21%
Crystal 40L - 14%
Acid Malt - 4%
Cara-Pils - 3%

.25 oz cascade 10 min
.25 oz cascade 15 min
.25 oz cascade 30 min
.50 oz cascade FWH
.25 oz cascade Whirlpool
.25 oz citra 30 min
.50 oz citra FWH
.25 oz citra Whirlpool

My post boil OG was 1.074, a little higher than I was shooting for but that's ok, it's an IPA. Over the first couple days in primary I had some good action and after 12 days the SG was at 1.035. Temperature was controlled at 68F for the first 5 days, then to 72F for the remainder of the time. I moved it over to secondary from there and it has been sitting in secondary since 7/3/14 still at 72F.

I checked it on 7/17/14 and found the at the SG was down to 1.018. Checked today and again I'm sitting at 1.017. I thought that Brett Trois was quicker working than that. Anyway I'm going to let it sit for another week or so, that will make it over full month in fermentation than check again. I may end up adding something to help dry it out a little bit but I think that the brett should keep on working.

I can say that this beer tastes awesome out of the sample jar. There is a really nice fruit flavor that has citrus in it (my guess is from the hops and the VT ale yeast) but it's also getting some very light stone fruit flavors like peach. Really hopefully for this beer because it's so great out of the carboy.

One thing that I did notice is that it's not as bitter as it could be for an IPA (hence the title, "Kinda-IPA"). I would say that 5 years ago, this would be considered a moderate IPA in terms of bitterness, but now it's more on the pale ale side than the IPA side. The bitterness is smoother than I expected but I suspect that's from the FWH. Very nice beer though. I'll update this link once I bottle with the FG and other statistics.

I'll give my feedback:

I brewed a Heady Topper clone and pitched this blend. I liked the taste so much after primary fermentation that I decided to forego dry hopping.

I'm still sitting on about 6-8 bottles. It's pretty good stuff so I'm being scarce with it. I've gotten some pretty good feedback from everyone who has tried it.

It is definitely funky, but I wouldn't call it barnyard funk. It has a nice fruitiness to it which I can see would enhance a west coast ipa. I could also see this working nicely in a Brett brown ale.

How long have most of you that have used this kept it in primary/secondary before bottling/kegging it? I have had mine going since the 5th so alomst 3 weeks. Will it help it much/dry it out much more to keep it in for another few weeks? Have most of you found that it's pretty much done after about a month?
I'm going to taste it when I brew in a couple days, it smelled amazing during fermentation!

Been a long time since I thought about that beer. It had a bigger funk to it than I expected and didn't go well with the hop schedule that I had.

Ended up drinking it but it's not a strain that I'll be using again, at least not in an IPA. Didn't get as fruity as I had hoped.

Latest posts

Back