Stuck Hefe ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmadden08

Reaction score
I brewed a Bavarian Hefe almost 2 weeks ago. OG was 1.052. took a reading after 5 days and it was at 1.020. then took one 3 days ago and it was at 1.019, i shook up the pail to get some yeast back in suspension and yesterday it is still at 1.019 with the temp adjustment, so im assuming its done fermenting. The recipe calls for the TG to be at 1.014.

So my question is whether I will be ok if i bottle it or if i'm risking some bottle bombs? should i give it more time (its been a day shy of 2 weeks now) also, if i do bottle, should i reduce the amount of priming sugar?

One more thing, the beer smells and tasted great from the sample, but i did notice that it felt slightly carbonated out of the fermenting pale, kind of a little fizzle on the tongue. is this characteristic of a hefe at this stage? or could this have been more from the acidic twang?
Thanks for any comments or suggestions

so any ideas on this guys? i think i might just risk it and bottle them tonight, maybe reduce the priming sugar down to 1/2 cup

I say bottle it. The FG isn't high enough for bottle bombs and with extract you're likely to be above the FG anyway...

Back