First kegged batch - questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanFarmer

Reaction score
Started a batch of cider beginning of October (Nottingham, no additional sugar). Due to some travelling etc didn't get back to it til Nov 12th. At that time I transferred it to my new keg! Put it in the fridge under 12lbs pressure at that time.

So testing today, it dispenses with a lot of foam but is not very sparkly in the glass (hardly at all). At this point I should think it should be well carbed, no? The fridge is pretty cold (about 3 degrees C).

It tastes pretty good other than it is quite yeasty tasting. Did it stay too long in the primary sitting on its yeast? It does seem to be improving. I was sort of expecting the keg to be a miracle speed aging thing - I suppose not.

It sounds like you are just a little over carb'd at 12#. I would release a little of the pressure from the relief valve and lower the pressure to about 8#. Give it a day or so to settle down and you should be ok.

Thanks Pickled. Overcarbed? There seems to be hardly any carbonation at all....

When beer/cider comes out really foamy you are losing most of the carbonation causing the foam.

Ah, I see. I'll back it off and give it a try. Went to the brewer supply to buy more bottles, came home with a keg instead... this is my first attempt at it!

Back