Questions about traveling with Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollinHeart

Reaction score
Hello Fine People!, I have a new beer trailer business and with that some questions that I never thought of before. I appreciate all your help!

Q1) If I need to travel, let's assume the beer is at 38 degrees starting and the beer temp rises to say 42 while traveling, and then once I reach my destination and re-chill to 38, will there be any damage to the taste or excess foaming?
Q2) Same scenario as above, but with the bouncing of the kegs being in a trailer. If I just let everything settle for say 2 hours before serving, will that be enough time to return the beer back to normal ( normal meaning without excessive foaming).?

I'm just a homebrewer. Someone with professional draft experience would have a lot more data to draw on. I've taken multiple kegs camping on a number of trips in the past few years. These are 5 gallon corny kegs and they ride in a travel trailer for hours usually at room temperature. They get served using a jockey box and include lagers and ales. The lagers have been cold crashed and stored cold, the ales if I have the space and depending on when they were done brewing. Once the trailer is unhooked and setup, the jockey box comes out and the beers get tapped, so about your time frame for serving. I'll add as well, I am sometimes "behind" and keg a couple of beers in the days before leaving, using burst carbonation.

A1) No problems with taste due to the temperature change, foaming answered next. Thirty-eight is really cold to serve beer at IMO, the aroma doesn't come out as much.
A2) Should be settling down by 2 hours. I don't generally have a lot of issues with foaming other than the burst carbonation kegs. The jostling actually kind of helps there but not something you would be needing I expect, since you are starting and serving at the same temperature. I'll even hit the kegs with extra CO2 if the drive is long to make sure they are saturated. The expected serving pressure makes a decent value to use. In my experience, sediment will be stirred up in the keg and not settle for a good 24 hours. For homebrew kegs, it would be a good idea to tap and pour off the first 2-3 beers before transporting. I never get to that in all honesty unless I am bringing an already tapped keg. I suspect you may have a different product.

I don't have flow control faucets on any of my taps but would that perhaps be helpful to serving under these conditions?

I have dreams of doing what you are suggesting so I wish you good fortune!

Latest posts

Back