Need help troubleshooting please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuBru

Reaction score
Alright so i have been trying to clone duvel for some time now but i always get this overly sweet cloying aroma, it smells horrible like stale candy vitamins..its hard to describe and i always get high attenuation..this run the og was 1060 before adding a 1.5lb cane sugar after a few days of primary..the fg is at 1002..it should be dry but its sweet and plastic notes and rubber notes just plain funky..i dont understand why

my recipe
11lbs belgian pilsner
1.5lbs cane sugar
1.25oz saaz
1oz styrian goldings
3L starter of wlp570
spring water
irish moss
yeast nutrient

mashed @ 148 but i lost a few degrees over 90 mins finished at 145
90 min boil
pitched cool at 60 raised it to 82 over 7 days then allowed it to sit at room temp for 3 weeks on the cake
racked it to keg..now letting it sit once again off the cake

I really dont know why i have problems with this style..its the only style i have brewed that has givin me problems..what am i missing?..if anyone can shine a light on this here issue i would be grateful..cheers

You're using all spring water? Have you double-checked that it doesn't contain any chlorine or chloramine? From what the experts on here are saying, the sort of off-flavor you're getting usually comes from chlorine or chloramine.

Not sure how that grain bill, hops and process can result in a sweet beer. What are the OG, FG and IBU numbers?

Not sure how that grain bill, hops and process can result in a sweet beer. What are the OG, FG and IBU numbers?

OG 1.060 before sugar addition which i added mid ferment
FG 1.002 then i transferred to keg

its is very strange cause the aroma is very sweet
i cant even describe the flavor its just too wacky
IBU between 30-40 i will have to double check on that

i always use this water for brewing and turn out some tasty beers
but when i try a duvel (bgsa) i get this same problem...i always assumed it was a fermentation temp issue before i had a fermentation chamber but i control my temps pretty carefully these days.

i thought my hydrometer could have been off so i just tested it in plain water..it read 1.000..right on target...so now im even more confused

My hunch is the cane suger. Is this just table suger? Liquid or granules? If granules, are you boiling it in water first, then cooling it down?

I've made a similar BGSA a few times. It has always come out pretty tasty and just won me my first gold medal! My first thought is maybe you're raising the temp up too high. The highest I take WLP570 is 74deg. Too hot of a ferment could produce unwanted phenols that would explain the plastic taste. Also with too hot of a ferment you could be getting fusel alcohols which might up the perceived sweetness of a beer.

Another thought is that you may be overpitching. I don't know what the consequences of overpitching are, but if you are using a stir plate a 3L starter would result in almost double of the recommended pitching rate according to yeastcalc.

Latest posts

Back