'old OJ' flavor and my first experience with orange in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskeypm

Reaction score
Hi
I was following a Karmelier clone recipe that called for orange in the secondary. I added the entire fruit in secondary (sans juice) and forgot about it for 2-3 weeks (I mean, I allowed more time for maturing). Now I have a beer that tastes a bit like old orange juice (4-5 weeks post bottling), like the flavor when the OJ has been sitting the fridge for too long ( an off, but presumably acidic flavor).

Is this typical of fruit adjuncts? If so, what's the usual time needed to allow the bear to chill out and appease the palate?

cheers
oete

I have used orange before. But if you put the pith (the white part under the orange skin) it will taste more like that then anything. it might not go away. I have bought a "brew friendly" pre-dried orange pieces before they worked good (easiest way + most control). but zest is the way I like to go. haven't done it in while though.

Try forking the juice into the beer and adding some of the zest. You'll get a cleaner flavor. Don't add the rind.

OK, thanks for the feedback. Darn, so maybe this batch is toast. I'll remember the rind for the next time. The bitterness of the rind really should have dawned on me.
p

Latest posts

Back