Backsweeten/ bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
Hey all- got a batch of apple cider that I want to bottle carb in about a week. Instead of back sweetening with Splenda or something similar and then using priming sugar, can I back sweeten with frozen concentrate and then just bottle? In other words would the FAJC serve both purposes? It's a 5gal batch. Or is it safer to just go with sweetener and priming to avoid bombs? I also plan on keeping the final product in the fridge. Thanks in advance.

I'd think that it would be difficult to achieve a specific level of carbonation with juice concentrate that may vary in sugar concentration and profile (some sugars are more fermentable than others). If you're using the juice to carb, then the yeast will eat the sugars and you'll get no sweetness. If you exceed the yeast's ABV tolerance, you'll get sweetness, but insufficient carbonation. I'd say that you're safer with priming sugar for carbonation.

I have no experience with Splenda (doesn't that stuff give you the runs?), so I will leave the backsweetening discussion to the experts.

What I have heard of backsweetening involved somehow inactivating the yeast and adding sugar. That would be counterproductive for carbonation.

There are a few ways to do it. The most popular would be to sweeten to where you like it by whatever method (sugar, concentrate etc) and bottle. Then you wait until it's carbed (check it) and pasteurize. see: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/pls-read-i-want-sweet-carbonated-cider-282841/ and the sticky on stove top pasteurization.

I suppose you can keep it in the fridge rather that pasteurizing, but I don't think it would slow it completely and you'd always have the concern. Some do have success with cold crashing but I don't have the fridge space and would always be a little leery of it.

Smh - I have a fridge dedicated just to beer, so space isn't an issue. That being said, I may just use Splenda or stevia or the like and prime. Seems like it'd be a safer bet. This being my first batch I don't want any bottle bombs.

Meant to add that I also will just cold crash and store in the fridge. Stove top pasteurizing kind of scares me.

Back