New England weather this year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Has anyone one else in New England had a slow growth year. In Vermont we have had consitently cool mornings. A co-worker of mine recently pointed out that her vegatable garden isn't growing that quickly and I thought about my under performing hops. They are still growing, just not on a weed like pace.

Family in Westchester County, NY have been dealing with gardening troubles, lots of failed and/or dead vegetable. Been a bad growing season for them, although technically not New England, but on the southernmost tip.

All of my hop starts have died, although they were pretty wilted/near DOA.

My established plants are doing fine. The second phase of hop yard expansion seems to be having a tough time. I have about 25 more plants I would like to put in.... September will be the target month. Sweet pumpkins are doing fair but show signs of too much water on the lower leaves.

Being as last year was an off-the-charts epic growing year in New England, "short memory syndrome" may be at play as well. On this date in 2012, all 15 of my plants had near-pickable cones. Otoh, this year on the same day, the closest the most precocious plant of the lot has reached is "almost a spike". And when I look back at photos from the same day in 2011, the plants were at the same stage as today...

Cheers!

My hops plants are doing well. The leaves that formed during the really rainy weather are different than the rest. They are still green and full size, just look to be a tad curled.

My tomato plants are not doing the best, though. They all have 1 vine of 2-3 fruits each and the rest of the flowers had fallen off after the 3 days around 95 we had. Just now starting to put out more flowers.

Petunias are having a ball. Had to prune the lanky arms back quite a bit this weekend.

All of my first year hops (Williamette and Zeus) are doing fantastic (8+feet tall already). Also string beans ant tomatoes (from seed) are doing well. The giant rabbit in my yard ate the spinach and cucumber though...
Im in CT

Here is my 2013 Connecticut garden progress...
My First year hops, about 70% grew, the others didn't start at all
Willamette - doing awesome several bines at 8ft+/-, Fuggles doing great sever bines at 6ft+/-, Centennial meh two of four plants sprouted and are at 2ft+/-, Tettnanger meh, three of four sprouted but are only at 1ft+/- possibly too shady an area.
My tomatoes are stunted because of all the rain.
My mild peppers (bell, cayenne, jalapeno) are doing well, have set fruit.
My hot peppers (Habanero) are stunted because of the cold mornings and rain.
My blueberries are doing phenomenal, but they are established 3 year old plants.
My strawberries keep getting eaten by something, need to invest in a pellet gun.
My herbs (mint, spearmint, chives, rosemary, thyme) are all doing great for first year plantings, I will be moving them next year though so they don't choke out whats near them (specifically the mint bugger is proliferating like mad).

It's been a mixed season for me, but considering the last time I tried hops they were all killed by a hurricane I'm pretty happy with this years progress.

I've got a great expansion plan for my garden.. lets see if the wife freaks out too much...

Back