Vacation settings for kegerator - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Vacation settings for kegerator

Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
dilvish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012

I'm going to be away from home for several weeks. I'm relatively new to kegging, and I currently have a three faucet setup in my living room. My concern is that one of the kegs and/or faucets could develop a leak and I could come home to huge mess. Should I disconnect the gas/beer lines, or am I just being paranoid?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Alabaster, Alabama
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I'd probably just leave it (never had a problem myself), but then again I'm curious what others think. Subscribed.

-Rich
Kegged: Sierra Nevada Celebration clone | 2014 Peach Sauvignon Blanc, sparkling
On Deck: Black Cherry Ancho Chile Mead | Leffe Blond clone

Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
snowveil

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lebanon, PA
Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts

The only way to prevent a leak in the system if there *is* an existing leak issue would be to also depressurize the kegs. I wouldn't worry about it...if you haven't noticed leaks before, you shouldn't experience anything new.

If you're concerned about a gas leak, just shut off the valve coming out of your regulator.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
dilvish

Recipes 

Dec 2012

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to keep the wife happy, and a major keg leak would kill any enthusiasm she may have for my new hobby.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Liked 2506 Times on 1764 Posts

I don't trust one of my roomates so I disconnect the beer out lines before I go away. That will keep any leaks from the beer out. You can disconnect both and turn off the gas if you want too. So long as you do not have any leaks in your day to day runnings you should be fine so long as you do not have any inquisitive furry creatures to knock your tap handles or anything roaming your place that likes beer.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
dilvish

Recipes 

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
I don't trust one of my roomates so I disconnect the beer out lines before I go away. That will keep any leaks from the beer out. You can disconnect both and turn off the gas if you want too. So long as you do not have any leaks in your day to day runnings you should be fine so long as you do not have any inquisitive furry creatures to knock your tap handles or anything roaming your place that likes beer.
Thanks DrunkleJon. I'll follow your protocol.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
FermentedTed

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Villa Park, IL
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Based on my personal experience, I would leave everything connected. Once I disconnected the beer out line from one of my kegs and forgot to reconnect it for a few days. When I finally remembered, I opened the keezer to find it full of beer. Turned out that the poppet did not seal completely when I disconnected and resulted in draining my keg and CO2 tank. Waste of good beer and a major PITA to clean up.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
anico4704
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Appleton, WI
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would definitely not keep a kegerator in the living room, thats just asking for a huge mess.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
DPBISME
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Alexandria, VA
Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts

Me? I would disconnet them... I do because something is always getting loose.

There are a lot of points of faliure.

I would put a little extra presure in the kegs, disconnect the "ins and outs", and tunrn off the gas...

It is a 2 minute thing that will insure when you get back you have GAS...

Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Liked 2506 Times on 1764 Posts

A visual inspection of the posts to make sure the poppits sealed wouldnt hurt.