Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Adams: Third Voyage

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
rayfound
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Sam Adams: Third Voyage

OK, so I want to talk about this beer.

Let me first explain myself a bit: I'm not really an IPA drinker. I do find some DIPAs to be a little better balanced, and tend to like them more. I love belgians.

I want to say all that to let you know: I like beers that are more malt-forward. I'm not a hop-head by any stretch of the imagination. There's many an IPA I just can't drink.

Now, Third Voyage:

My BIL brought over a few bottles from a SA variety pack, and this was one of them. He's a hop head, we both thought the aroma and head on this beer was awesome.

Neither one of us could drink it. It was so syrupy sweet, sickly and cloying, I just don't understand. I mean, I am a guy that likes low bitterness beers... belgian dubbels and quads, etc - but I guess my tastes really run towards Dry.

Since we weren't drinking it, I decided to try and take a FG on it. I shook the sample a few times to get rid of what carbonation I could. 1.024 FG. This seems bonkers high to me, and certainly explains the cloying to some degree.

What say you?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfound View Post
Now, Third Voyage:

What say you?
I think Sam Adams is having a problem right now.
I have the same cloying almost sticky flavor from a sixpack of boston lager yesterday. Its not the best beer but it was definitely wrong this time.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's about as far from an IPA as you can get! I will need to get a variety pack to try this. Even if I don't drink it ill get a bottle I can use.
evancold Likes This 
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1450 Posts

The span of reviews on BA is interesting in itself - and gives me the cover to admit I enjoyed this brew out of the Hopology packs a month or so back...

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 17

my brother brought a 6'er of sa summer ale down last weekend. it was supposed to be "refreshing", but i found it to be "cloying"
Fermenting: APA

Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1450 Posts

OT as it is, but....Summer Ale - "cloying"?

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm not a Sam Adams fan, but I liked that one.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Well SA does do things a bit differently when it comes to fermenting their beer. Apparently, from what I've been told (by a higher up in SA) they intentionally crash cool their beer at, or right before they hit their desired terminal gravity to stop the yeast and hit their desired FG. Doing this leaves unfermented simple/fermentable sugars still in suspension, which means the beer is underattenuated and sweeter (b/c you can taste these sugars compared to longer chain unfermentable dextrins).

I'm not totally sure I believe it, but I honestly do taste a slight sweetess in the finish of most of the SA beers I've had...so I dunno!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
rayfound
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
The span of reviews on BA is interesting in itself - and gives me the cover to admit I enjoyed this brew out of the Hopology packs a month or so back...

Cheers!

BA reviews confused me. Guys were saying it isn't malty enough... like, seriously? This beer confuses me greatly, and makes me wonder if it was just a bad batch... like if there is some way a batch gets through their system mashed high, underattenuated, something??

1.024 seems obviously high FG, no?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I think this was one of the weaker beers in the Hopology pack. I was completely blown away by the Whitewater IPA so that this beer was destined to be a let down after that.

It did taste too sweet, the hop profile was funky as well. 1.024? that doesn't sound right for an ipa.

The Tasman Red was pretty darn good as well. The Grumpy Monk was awesome. I remember liking the Latitude 48 in the past, but it seemed flavorless among these bigger beers.