Another stainless eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastev

Reaction score
Decided to build an electric BIAB since it seems to be the cool thing to do. It is nearly completed, I'll add to this thread as I go. For some reason, I am just not that excited about this build as I had hoped to be, hopefully documenting it here will garner some interest and keep me motivated to finish it.
Simple build consisting of a 15gal Bayou Classic stainless kettle with a basket, stainless cart with a drawer, 4500w ULWD element. The control panel is where most of my time has been spent.
I'll shut up and post some pictures...

The stand. Drain, element, and sight glass/thermowell fittings have now been welded in. I'll update the pictures soon.

ebiab2_zps9b19cdd9.jpg

ebiab1_zps157bf1d8.jpg

The panel.

panel2_zpsef6f0224.jpg

panel1_zps72078038.jpg

panel3_zps214cb71d.jpg

panel4_zps9538ab27.jpg

And perhaps one of my favorite tools...

punch1_zps6d14f682.jpg

Punch a hole in the panel door...

punch2_zps196a1f0c.jpg

Set up "my favorite tool"...

punch3_zpsf026934c.jpg

punch4_zpsffa11bc2.jpg

punch5_zpsb1714f49.jpg

A couple pumps later...

punch6_zpsedc1faee.jpg

punch7_zps3b63e3ec.jpg

A perfect 16th DIN hole for a PID controller.

I have replaced the plate heat exchanger with this contraption. I welded tri clover ferrules onto the weird-sized inlet/outlets to connect my hoses to.

chiller_zps541d2f6f.jpg

Nice setup. The square holes are the most difficult but looks like you have all the right tools.

Are you using the water filter for cold water or will you set it up as a hopback?

Nice setup. The square holes are the most difficult but looks like you have all the right tools.

Are you using the water filter for cold water or will you set it up as a hopback?

Thanks! Having the right tools for the job sure makes a difference. My slug buster has dies for chassis and conduit round holes, and a couple different DIN sized openings.
The filter is for cold water. I never thought about using it as a hopback. I've got another identical one, perhaps I'll have to give that a try.

Nice setup. If you don't like it though, I would understand. I'll take it off your hands if you need...

Haha, thanks! I've had a few offers thus far. I'd like to run it a couple times, but then it'll most likely come up for sale. I think I like my B3 tippy dump more.

Could you please share some photos of how you did the triclover on the chiller?

Sure can. Lathe and TIG welder. I bored out a hole in some 1.5" tri clover caps that were a tight fit on the chiller tubes. Then I just fused them on and polished them out.

chillerclamp2_zps23605299.jpg

chillerclamp3_zpsf4ae7b9f.jpg

chillerclamp_zps48a8a115.jpg

Hope that helps...

Looks good.

I love the "It's simple DIY, as long as you're a skilled fabricator with a multitude of tools" response!:D

Looks good.

I love the "It's simple DIY, as long as you're a skilled fabricator with a multitude of tools" response!:D

Haha, thanks! It is definitely nice have a fully outfitted shop for building this stuff. However, It is also a detriment to building this stuff. I really have to try to get myself motivated as it is just way too much like my day job...

fastev said:
Haha, thanks! I've had a few offers thus far. I'd like to run it a couple times, but then it'll most likely come up for sale. I think I like my B3 tippy dump more.

Wait. Didn't you just sell the tippy dump?

Haven't sold it yet. I have a few people wanting to look at it. I'm ready for it to go, but my wife wants to hang onto if so I don't know what will happen. Building and working on this stuff is so similar to my day job that the fun has been taken out of it. I really enjoy the actual brewing part, I'm just burned out on the gear. I want to keep a simple extract setup, and I'll be brewing on a 3bbl system with marcb once a month or so, so I'll still have plenty of beer around!

fastev said:
Haven't sold it yet. I have a few people wanting to look at it. I'm ready for it to go, but my wife wants to hang onto if so I don't know what will happen. Building and working on this stuff is so similar to my day job that the fun has been taken out of it. I really enjoy the actual brewing part, I'm just burned out on the gear. I want to keep a simple extract setup, and I'll be brewing on a 3bbl system with marcb once a month or so, so I'll still have plenty of beer around!

So are you selling this rig too?

I grew up in the BA and still have family there. If I had the funds I'd take the tippy dump off your hands. I tried to talk my brother into your conical but he just bought a house Yada Yada Yada.

That is sweet that your wife brews with you :cheers:

Whats the second large locking outlet on the controlpanel for? the pump? First one is for the kettle I assume.

...That is sweet that your wife brews with you :cheers:

Yes indeed!

Nice setup! Where did you get the SS cart?

Recycle bin at work. Pulled it out, cleaned it with some nasty industrial CIP chemicals, then autoclaved it for good measure. I'd eat off it now... They are available through Grainger; not cheap though. About $600.

Whats the second large locking outlet on the controlpanel for? the pump? First one is for the kettle I assume.

Yep, it's for a pump. The white push button switch controls the pump power, the red switch is an interrupt for the element that removes heat but leaves the PID controller powered up. Mainly just to prevent a boilover.

I would love to see a pic of the whole system up and running. Are you going to mount the control panel to the stand?

I would love to see a pic of the whole system up and running. Are you going to mount the control panel to the stand?

Should be up and running tomorrow. This has been repurposed as a CIP/recirc temp control system in marcb's giant brewery.

Back