Kind of a coffin build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhespenh

Reaction score
This forum was so incredibly helpful to me when building my keezer, I thought I should share my build in the hope that maybe it might help someone else in the future.

To preface- I have absolutely NO woodworking/carpentry experience outside of what I picked up helping the Engineers in the Marines- so to the person scared they can't do this-- You can! :rockin: Also, don't mock my shotty work too hard :p

My build is a bit different than most- I happened to get really lucky and scored a complete coffin-style tap cabinet from a guy that did salvage on a failed bar- no the taps aren't Perlicks- maybe I'll replace them when my wallet recovers from this build :D It needed some scrubby loving, but after a few ounces of elbow grease it was good as new (pic is before).

cabinet.jpg

The bar is based heavily on bbentley's first build found here to whom I owe many thanks for the detailed build log. Thanks, man!

frame.jpg

sides.jpg

Cheapo pine for a rustic [read: cheap] look :cross: The freezer is an ancient commercial Gibson 14cf chest from craigslist for $40 with the thermostat adjusted to maintain 35-38*F.

bar.jpg

The top is 3/4" oak ply with 1x4 poplar trim

handles.jpg

Tap handles were made by a friend while I built the rest of the bar. The front face is coated in chalkboard paint. I'll get more details on their construction if folks want.

firstpour.jpg

Double IPA first pour. Success!

All that is left is sand and stain- will update when I complete. Thanks again to everyone for all the tips and inspiration, I love this place! :mug:

To preface- I have absolutely NO woodworking/carpentry experience outside of what I picked up helping the Engineers in the Marines- so to the person scared they can't do this-- You can! :rockin: Also, don't mock my shotty work too hard :p

Be careful, I had even less experience [pinewood derby cars was the extent of my prior knowledge], and before I even finished mine I was already designing a dozen other things to build. :eek:

bar.jpg

The top is 3/4" oak ply with 1x4 poplar trim

Nice mitred corners. :mug: I found out, the hard way, that the saw I was using wasn't cutting too straight.

All that is left is sand and stain- will update when I complete.

Pine plywood can look pretty good when stained, it really "takes it up a notch." I recommend getting one of these if you don't have anything already. I didn't use one when applying my first coat of stain as I was in my garage with the doors wide open. Apparently that wasn't well ventilated enough and I got quite the buzz/high and headache from the vapors. Second coat and all coats of poly I used the respirator and never had a problem. It worked really well.

Nice mitred corners. :mug: I found out, the hard way, that the saw I was using wasn't cutting too straight.

No mitred corners here- sorry the picture is crappy. I didn't trust myself to try that. Just normal squared corners. But you're definitely right about the desire to build more... MUST. RESIST.

Word.
Very nice!

Thanks, man! Your build was a major source of inspiration- I wanted to do tile on mine originally, but didn't think I could pull it off.

Update coming soon!

Sanded, stain applied (Minwax "Red Oak 215")!

WP_20130414_002.jpg

WP_20130414_003.jpg

Adding the poly coats now- 3x semi-gloss down, adding 3x gloss.
WP_20130424_002.jpg

Ooooh, shiny!

I'll post up some pictures of the inside tomorrow, including the cooling design for the tap cabinet.

Your build was going great until you put that Dogpoo Head sticker on your coffin... Seriously though, nice build.

Back