Stella bottles ok for reuse in homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurzschluss1

Reaction score
I have a friend who drinks a lot of Stella and offered me a good regular supply of free empty bottles. Does anyone have any positive/negative experience with these?

I figure they are mass produced on a global scale ... just want to make sure there are no quality (cheapness) issues before I put my precious homebrew inside. Thanks!

They'll be fine (hey, free bottles!), but after filling them with beer you'll want to keep them in the dark, as green glass will do little to stop UV light from affecting the contents. Find a closet or dark room you can close them up in, or cover them up with a thick blanket if you have to.

I had an issue with one Stella bottle. I ended up throwing it so I don't remember why it wouldn't cap but a wing capper would not cap it. I would have had to use a bench capper. I think it had a big shoulder that the wing capper couldn't grab onto

I have a couple that I use for soda, so there are no skunking issues. For some reason I almost think they have only a small shoulder for the wing capper or no shoulder at all. I'll have to double check. I use a bench capper though, and they work great. I've also used a counter pressure filler on these at around 30-40psi and had no issues with them.

As an experiment, I just tried to use the wing capper for a couple of them and it wouldn't work. Is there a specific type of bench capper I should be looking for?

My search on Amazon and eBay seems to bring up the super Agata every time. Not sure if this will do the trick but the Amazon reviews were pretty bad.

what size caps?? I had a hard time getting my bench capper to work on one. Caps on my bench capper seem to go on sometimes a bit crooked... The whole vertical slide thing flexes too. Maybe I have a cheapo model (Ferarri) is there a better one??

TD

what size caps?? I had a hard time getting my bench capper to work on one. Caps on my bench capper seem to go on sometimes a bit crooked... The whole vertical slide thing flexes too. Maybe I have a cheapo model (Ferarri) is there a better one??

TD

The Super Agata is a good bench capper. I have also seen the cheaper Ferarri and the Ferarri Colt advertised as the Super Agata. The Super Agata has a button on the shaft to adjust for different heights.

I bought one just recently, and it was labelled super agata, but its cheap. the adjust height you raise lever fully up and it slides - no button. They have a deluxe capper at More beer that looks great, but its out of stock.

Stellas work fine for me (wing capper) but I only have a couple. Like the man said - keep 'em dark. Better yet, get yer buddy 6 Warsteiners .. it's better beer and the bottles are the shizz.

I was able to cap them with my wing capper, but the capper slipped often and sometimes the cap wouldn't seat properly. I eventually recycled those bottles.

Latest posts

Back