Different taste per bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackb128

Reaction score
My first batch was a decent brown ale. Nothing great but totally drinkable. Some of them had some real off favors tho. Maybe I didn't sanitize those bottle good enough? They all went through the same sanitizing tho. Any ideas?

Could easily be sanitation. but.

How long have they been in the bottles? sometimes they carb and condition at different rates, if less than 3 weeks I would let them go at least that long and see if they have gained any consistency. I usually let them go 4 weeks and they are all the same.

I had a bottle lambic infection once. Some bottles were fine, some were sour. The sour ones got progressively worse over time.

every bottle is a new fermentation. so they are all different. some could have different amounts of sugar, oxygen, yeast, temperature, amounts of sanitizer and even chemicals in priming solution.

I've had batches where some bottles didn't carbonate and some over carbonated. this was probably due to incomplete mixing of the priming solution. I've had huge off flavors from chlorine in the priming solution because I didn't boil it long enough. there are a number of variables at work.

can you describe the off flavor? maybe we could help track down what went wrong.

Back