Northern Brewer’s “Lord Fatbottom.”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received Northern Brewer’s catalogue along with some stuff I ordered from them. Flipping through it while taking a dump, I noticed that they have a listing under their heavy ales for an “American-style barley wine.” The thing is supposed to have an OG of 1.123 and the catalogue says it’s ready in about 8 months-1 year.

I’m guessing with an OG like that that the ABV would be something on the order of like 9%. Is that about right?

I’m not sure I’d try this one but it struck my interest.

Has anyone tried this brew? If so, how was it both in brewing and drinking?

Also, what exactly is a barely wine and how does it differ from beer?

FerociouslyTed said:
I received Northern Brewer’s catalogue along with some stuff I ordered from them. Flipping through it while taking a dump, I noticed that they have a listing under their heavy ales for an “American-style barley wine.” The thing is supposed to have an OG of 1.123 and the catalogue says it’s ready in about 8 months-1 year.

I’m guessing with an OG like that that the ABV would be something on the order of like 9%. Is that about right?

I’m not sure I’d try this one but it struck my interest.

Has anyone tried this brew? If so, how was it both in brewing and drinking?

Also, what exactly is a barely wine and how does it differ from beer?

Very thick, syrupy, taste. Some like it, others barf!

If it has an FG od 1.020 that would put it a little over 13% abv and an FG of 1.010 puts it a little over 14.5%abv.

I have never had the stuff so I can't say what it's like.
But to me 13-14% abv seems a little low. But then again I don;t know about that stuff.

Typically barleywines are 9%+. Although the name barleywine can be deceptive, barleywine is just a style of beer a la pilsner, hefe, etc.

This isn't a beer you'd really want to drink a whole pint of. It's more like something you'd split a 12oz bottle with someone. It's a cold weather sipper. The alcohol is prominant in that the aftertaste kinda reminds me of a whiskey (not as harsh, but it's there).

Barleywines tend to be a love 'em or hate 'em affair. At the very least, they're an acquired taste. Very thick, usually extremely malty, complex malt bills, the alcohol is generally noticable; good ones are smooth and warming. It's hard to keep them from being cloyingly sweet.

I would recommend trying a barley wine before brewing one. There are plenty of good commercial BW out there. They are quite a "acquired" taste IMO. if you can get Stone brewery where your at I would reccomend trying Stones Barley wine. its a very good representation of the style IMO.

Cheers,

Check the BJCP guidelines, if you are every curious about what a style ought to be like and are looking for some commercial examples: BJCP Guidelines. Look at Category 19, Strong Ales. Compared to English barleywines, American barleywines tend to have more hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness.

They are all big, big beers, though.

Just a bit of trivia related to your typo, a "barely wine" is an old bottle of Rogue Old Crustacian. The old bottles say "Barely Wine Style Ale" on the bottom.:D

TL

Go out and get yourself a Bigfoot Barleywine from Sierra Nevada because a) It's an American-style barley wine, b) tastes delicious, and c) has a picture of Bigfoot on the bottle.

They are basically very malty, high ABV (9-10%) beers. The bittering is high to balance the ABV and they have large amounts of unfermentables. I rather like them, but in small glasses. I have one I brewed in 2003 that is still going strong.

Trying a few before brewing 5 gallons is a good idea. If I bottled, I'd try to find 7 oz. bottles, because 12 oz. is just too much for one evening.

This isn't a beer you'd really want to drink a whole pint of. It's more like something you'd split a 12oz bottle with someone. It's a cold weather sipper. The alcohol is prominant in that the aftertaste kinda reminds me of a whiskey (not as harsh, but it's there).

+1 on splitting 12oz bottles. I brewed a barleywine in 2006 and it gets better and better every time I crack one...it really came out excellent. (I've only drank about 1/2 case). It's great to have around but I find it tough to drink a whole bottle...not because of the high abv but the flavor is so intense....DEFINITELY don't feed one of these to a BMC drinker!!

I'll tell you in about 2 months or so. I've got it sitting in my secondary now as it has sat for about 6 months now. I plan on starting to play with it again here around the 8 month mark.

Latest posts

Back