Long Mash- not converting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
I am mashing an Octoberfest that's been in for 2 hours now and is still showing some black on the iodine test. I have it at 150 f still but started with a protein rest at 130, and mash at 155. SWMBO is tapping her foot now. what if i run the sparge and it is not all totally converted? wait or go?

I've personally found the iodine test to be pretty unreliable myself (I'm not saying it IS, just has been for me). If you get any husk material in your sample it will also cause it to change colour. 2 hours is certainly long enough and 150F is a good temperature to get lots of conversion. I'd just go ahead and sparge, I think you'll be fine.

Tips for the iodine test...

1) Place a drop of wort onto a white background
2) Try to get only liquid
3) ignore the tiny bits of malt that will turn black - even when the msah is done
4) focus on the liquid only portion, swirling it around a bit helps
5) test your wort immediately when the mash begins - this will give you an idea of how a "strong" positive starch test looks and then check every 15-20 minutes or whenever you stir your mash. If you keep the samples as you go you will see a dramatic change.

Got Trub? said:
Tips for the iodine test...

1) Place a drop of wort onto a white background
2) Try to get only liquid
3) ignore the tiny bits of malt that will turn black - even when the msah is done
4) focus on the liquid only portion, swirling it around a bit helps
5) test your wort immediately when the mash begins - this will give you an idea of how a "strong" positive starch test looks and then check every 15-20 minutes or whenever you stir your mash. If you keep the samples as you go you will see a dramatic change.
Another tip, right from Charlie Papazian's book, is to put a few drops of wort liquid on your working surface, (I like a saucer), and a couple of drop of iodine NEXT to the wort, and let them run together. I find that this really helps leave the solids behind and out of the test.

Alemental said:
Another tip, right from Charlie Papazian's book, is to put a few drops of wort liquid on your working surface, (I like a saucer), and a couple of drop of iodine NEXT to the wort, and let them run together. I find that this really helps leave the solids behind and out of the test.

Apparently I didn't read either of his books closely enough. This is a good tip!

Back