Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fearing diacetyl

Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6207 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 1654

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRausch View Post
Interesting. I always thought that the diacetyl rest was to break down already formed diacetyl. LOve this forum- learn something new every day!Thanks Topher.
Yes, that is indeed the point of the diacetyl rest. Diacetyl is formed by yeast as a byproduct of fermentation. When the active fermentation is over, the yeast are still trying to continue, so they'll start digesting less preferred foods such as maltiose. Then, they'll even go back and start digesting their own waste products (such as diacetyl).

Like I said, I never knew anybody who had any luck getting rid of diacetyl after lagering, or after packaging the beer except by krausening (to get active yeast to clean up the diacetyl). I hope I"m wrong, though, and you can do it.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf063 View Post
Should I add a little more pressure to the keg just to hold it?
NO! Pressure will increase as it warms up! Co2 will come out of solution and cause more pressure, so just leave it be!

And I agree with Yooper. If it was me, I'd either live with it or plan to krausen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I usually package about day 10-14 for almost all of my beers, except for lagers.
Just won 2nd and 3nd place in my local bjcp sanctioned brew comp for my 1st 2 lagers (dort export and munich dunkle). both went into kegs for lagering w/i 2 weeks. just adding to the point that there is no one right way to do something. Big pitch. No diacetyl at all.

I will add I am very sensitive to diacetyl as it showed up in two IIPA's back to back (possibly due to too warm of a pitch?). the 2nd one I did pitch a fresh starter into the finished beer in kegs as it was at high krausen. It reduced it somewhat but not to the level of fixing it.
I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
ejf063
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
NO! Pressure will increase as it warms up! Co2 will come out of solution and cause more pressure, so just leave it be!

And I agree with Yooper. If it was me, I'd either live with it or plan to krausen it.
Since this is my first batch I think I can try to recondition for a few days. So I won't add pressure and I won't bleed out the pressure that's already in there. Do I have to worry about flattening the beer?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf063 View Post
Since this is my first batch I think I can try to recondition for a few days. So I won't add pressure and I won't bleed out the pressure that's already in there. Do I have to worry about flattening the beer?
Ideally you'd keep it on pressure because yes, eventually the co2 in headspace will absorb but if it's fully carbed now and you don't off-gas at all, you're not "losing" anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
ejf063
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Ideally you'd keep it on pressure because yes, eventually the co2 in headspace will absorb but if it's fully carbed now and you don't off-gas at all, you're not "losing" anything.
Great, thanks! I took her off last night, now I have to re-wait.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make 1-1.5 quart starter with fresh yeast and pitch it at high krausen the whole thing. It will remove diacetyl. This is the only way I had luck with. Just sitting at room temperature will not do anything, your yeast is not active anymore and will not clean up.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
ejf063
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

UPDATE
After about a two week rest, both off the co2, and out of the fridge, I gave it another go. The beer didn't last a week. It still had a minor bit of butterscotch, but it was still very good.
Thanks for the update.