Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Advice on cleaning and sanitizing

Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
Intheswamp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bluespark, you're right about the glass jugs being easy to clean and more or less inert in regards to retaining or giving off smells/chemicals. Being hard to scratch definitely helps out on reducing hiding spots for bacteria, etc.,. It makes me feel good to see a sparkling clean glass container...and it's easy to tell if you "missed a spot".

The ability to view what's going on inside a glass container during fermentation is nice for curiosity but for the must inside it's not good...a light-proof container would be better. A pH meter/strips and a hydrometer should be the primary tools for fermentation/must management. I'm like you, I do like to see what's going on inside. I would consider Better Bottles but the debates over oxygen permeability of their plastic is keeping me away from them. I'm mostly making mead (honey wine) which has longer aging requirements than regular grape wines. As mentioned earlier, though, I'm going to all kegs eventually and will adapt to a non-visual management.

Ed