Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty laid back about some of these things, but a few that get old are:

Really? I work with this person who has to say it every other word. Now I want to just take a hot poker to my ear drums whenever it's uttered.

same difference. Seriously, what the hell does that mean? Is it the same or is it different?? That's right up there with 'hot water heater'.

Search is your friend. Wow, very informative. Not only are you an *******, but you're too dumb to figure it's just easier to move on instead of wasting time to reply.

bottlebomber said:
Yes! Used in a sentence - Meggers is preggers. So damn stupid. Also "Noms", "Nommers" or "Nummers" appear in the vocabulary of people who say that. I want to imprison and deprive of food people who say those words.

Also, "Va-jay-jay".

Additionally, "Right?" or "I know right?" (IKR?)

I've always liked va-jay-jay.

it's NOT "then" when comparing. it's "THAN"!!!!!!! i hear/read "this is better then that"....it was better then than it was last week or what do you mean? then refers to time. than refers to comparisons. all the time i hear/read "this is better then that". makes me want to rip out a tongue

OK the worst phrase ever uttered and this happened to me last night is "we are out of beer" After that was said I got in the car and went home

ridonkulous
FTW and FML as someone said before
mixing up your and you're (also then and than)
and extraneous and out of place use of quotation marks, e.g.:

weird-quotations-20.jpg

If you use an errant apostrophe, it is your duty to 1) not post it in a public place or 2) fix said error. My friend's building has a sign on the door that says "Speak to you're landlord by January 1 about lease renewal."

He cringes everytime he sees it.

When the waitroid (in itself a hated word?) takes your money and says "Let me take that for you." Hey, as far as I'm concerned you're taking it for your boss and FROM me, not for me...you can leave it on the table FOR me if it's too much trouble to cash me out!

These stupid @ss abbreviations of celebrity names and couples. Jeez, STFU about "scarjo" and "tomkat" and the other whatsherface and whatshisname.

Really! And " no kidding". And I catch myself saying these words. Meaning you don't know what to say or you don't believe them.

lol --> especially when it's used excessively or out of context.
Calling a pound sign a "hashtag"... and anyone who says hashtag... really just twitter in general.

How about when a company makes something sound somehow more important by using the word "experience."

Coca-cola produced vanilla coke to "provide our customers with unique taste experiences." That means so much nothing.

I have a boss that uses the word "Ideal" wrong.

I'll ask him a question and he says, "I have no ideal". I want to throat punch him every time he does it.

He also said once he had gotten into a Wops nest over the weekend. I replied, where in hell did you find a nest of Italians around here? Everyone laughed, he did not...

IMHO instead of IMO. For some reason that H really bugs me. Seems pretentious and therefore hypocritical.

CGVT said:
Putting periods after Every. Single. Word. for emphasis.

Stop it. It's stupid

Yes that annoys me. So many advertisers do things like that now.
Real. Different. Tasty. Fantastic. Beer.

IMHO instead of IMO. For some reason that H really bugs me. Seems pretentious and therefore hypocritical.

I live in Humble, so for me, the H denotes location, not humility. For everyone else, saying explicitly that it's an opinion and not an incontrovertible fact would seem to be sufficiently humble. But then, the sort of people who have BFFs tend to change best friends monthly.

I have a boss that uses the word "Ideal" wrong.

I'll ask him a question and he says, "I have no ideal". I want to throat punch him every time he does it.

He also said once he had gotten into a Wops nest over the weekend. I replied, where in hell did you find a nest of Italians around here? Everyone laughed, he did not...

If the ideal is proper grammar, then yes, he is correct, he has no ideal.

I also hate starting the sentence with "Look..." The reason I mention it in particular is that President Obama does it ALL THE TIME in interviews. I know he has handlers that get him to speak a certain way, and I guess it commands attention, but it gets to be grating very quickly...

Same thing with people who start a sentence with "So" when they're answering a question and need to go into a drawn out explanation.

Me: "Can you explain to me how that works?"
Them: "So the first thing you have to decide...."

I can admit I've been guilty of this one at times, but when I hear others do it, especially those who do it habitually, it bugs me.

Also, at work, we had a sales rep from one of our vendors who they only brought in on occasion to try to close a deal, or on conference call because he's some big shot, who would always dumb things down to the point that it was patronizing, had this annoying lilting quality to his voice that was intended to be persuasive and calming like he was some motivational speaker, but it just sounded forced and dumb, and excelled in the art of business gobbledygook (that's probably one of those words people don't like either). I had fun counting the number of times he would use the phrase "at the end of the day"

I also hate "ping" in the non data network sense, as in "I'll ping you sometime next week"

If the ideal is proper grammar, then yes, he is correct, he has no ideal.

I also hate starting the sentence with "Look..." The reason I mention it in particular is that President Obama does it ALL THE TIME in interviews. I know he has handlers that get him to speak a certain way, and I guess it commands attention, but it gets to be grating very quickly...

Same thing with people who start a sentence with "So" when they're answering a question and need to go into a drawn out explanation.

Me: "Can you explain to me how that works?"
Them: "So the first thing you have to decide...."

I can admit I've been guilty of this one at times, but when I hear others do it, it bugs me.

The "so" thing seems to have arisen in just the last few years. I wish it hadn't.

When people use "absolutely!" as an affirmative response. I guess it's okay once, but I know people who seem to be incapable of saying "yes" or "uh huh" and every single #$!! affirmative answer is "absolutely!"

Back