Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer in my regulator.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
BillyRaygun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer in my regulator.

Have a MicroMatic dual gage regulator. I got beer in it. Poured right out of it. What can I do to fix it?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think if you're comfortable doing it, you have to take it apart to clean it..otherwise. . . you need to buy a new one (so I was told by my LHBS)

Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRaygun View Post
Have a MicroMatic dual gage regulator. I got beer in it. Poured right out of it. What can I do to fix it?
Rinse it out with a spray bottle of plain water by shooting it into the orfice the beer went in, then let it set open to the air for a few days. I speak from experience

Old 11-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I have problems taking it apart to clean it. Nothing appears to have gone into the gauges. I rinsed out my gas lines and am letting them dry. So I will see if I can salvage this regulator.

I'm rather embarrassed and am thinking, if I only shut the valve off before the regulator, I would have been fine. I bet anyone I will use that valve next time.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
granpooba19

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ah, my mistake . . . I thought it had gone into the gauges

Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpooba19
Ah, my mistake . . . I thought it had gone into the gauges
No. Not into the gauges. Well, at there was no beer floating inside the gauges. I took them both apart and they were dry. Not sure if any got in the tiny hole on the brass nub, but I don't think so.

Do you with some gentle cleaning I'll be good?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
granpooba19

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Rinse it out with a spray bottle of plain water by shooting it into the orfice the beer went in, then let it set open to the air for a few days. I speak from experience
I can't speak from experience, but I guess if spraying water into the orifice where the beer went into won't get into the gauges, that would work, I would see if others weigh in before trying anything

Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpooba19

I can't speak from experience, but I guess if spraying water into the orifice where the beer went into won't get into the gauges, that would work, I would see if others weigh in before trying anything
Well, I just took as much of the regulator apart as I could and everything seems to be ok. I ran some water through the body of the regulator without any gauges or the pressure release valve and dried it the best I could by blowing air through all the openings. Nothing is sticking and it all went back together perfectly.

I'll follow up shortly. I'm going to reconnect everything and see how it goes.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, so far so good. I have complete control over the sensitivity of the pressure. The second gauge seems to be measuring the volume in the Co2 tank properly. Nothing sticks and my keg is under pressure again; no leaks.

My only concern is that I have a tiny bit of moisture in the gas line from rinsing out the beer. I'm hoping this will dry out eventually. If not, I may just replace the gas line.

Because I actually caused the beer to leak into the regulator, and saw it happen right in front of me in real time, I was able to shut the valve to the regulator which stopped the flow. So the beer sat in the line and regulator as long as it took me to disconnect everything and clean it - less than an hour.

I may have got very lucky or I'll experience problems in the near future. I'm pretty confident things are ok. But as I said before, I won't forget about the shut off valve a second time.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
sennister
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok I get using the shut off valve at the exit of the regulator but to help prevent others from doing the same thing, how did this happen? Tank valve off or the regulator not connected to the tank so there was no pressure? If the tank was connected I don't see how this could happen as the tank would have more pressure than the keg. Since it seems like you are not the only person to do this I want to make sure I don't do it.

Thanks