clean brew bucket drain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
I can't get part of my brew bucket drain assembly cleaned. The part that swivels in a circle has some dark gunk that I suspect is dried up yeast.

Does this part of the drain come off so I can clean it? I tried soaking it in oxyclean free for 24 hours but that didn't help. I have included a pic so you all can get a feel for what I'm dealing with.

ForumRunner_20121005_184546.png

ForumRunner_20121005_184557.png

Soak it in hot water for a few minutes and it will come apart much easier..

I have one of these on my primary fermentation bucket. I don't dare use it to transfer to the secondary because I haven't found a way to sanitize it after the nozzle sits in the open during fermenting. Does anyone have a way to sanitize? Or is it not worth worrying about?

cheg2011 said:
I have one of these on my primary fermentation bucket. I don't dare use it to transfer to the secondary because I haven't found a way to sanitize it after the nozzle sits in the open during fermenting. Does anyone have a way to sanitize? Or is it not worth worrying about?

Spray bottle with Star San, I keep one handy at all times

So its not the red part that is the valve that I can't get out. I'm talking about the clearish part that swivels. You can see a tiny sliver of dark in the picture that I can't get clean. I've tried pushing it, but I hate to break it.

Does that part just not come out?

I have the same spigots (in the used brew kit I just bought). There was a similar dark spot that you could see in the threaded part. When you feel the inside, there is no deposit it appears to be a stain.

Back