Implications of using fresh fruit in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdoNisso

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got a fruit beer coming up with fresh plums from my garden.
As I'm going to add frozen and puréed fresh fruit to secondary, and not pasteurized fruit, I'm worried about wild yeast 'infection' of my equimpment.

I vaguely recall reading in a book that equipment used to ferment wild yeast/lambic should NOT be used again with 'regular' beers. Something about those strains being able to stay in the vessels and infect future beers.

This leads me to my question:
If I add fruit with potential wild yeast on it to my fermenter, does it mean I'm risking my future non-fruit beers?

Thanks in advance,
Ido

Wild yeast would threaten not just your future beers but the beer you are adding the fruit to. You definitely want to kill those wild yeasts. How about putting the plums in some boiling water before you cut them up?

I know people who make sour beers and use the same equipment for non-sour beers, so they must sanitize it pretty well between uses. If you were to bleach bomb the carboy, for example, I don't think you'd have much to worry about.

Pasteurising fruit has been discussed here quite a lot before on HBT.
The main reason no to do it is that cooking the plums will change the taste from a crispy fresh (hopefully) to a jam/cooked fruit taste, which is less desirable.
The second reason is pectins that will haze the beer.

Although, I must say that I don't feel like dedicating a carboy for fruit beers.
Thanks for the quick reply.

You're adding the fruit to already-fermented beer that's loaded with "domesticated" yeast cells by the trillions. Wild yeast isn't likely going to infect your whole brewery under those circumstances. I soak my unsliced, washed fruit in star san for 60 seconds before slicing it on a sanitized board with a sanitized knife, freeze in a sanitized vessel, thaw and rack on top.

I did a raspberry wheat and when I puree'd the raspberries, I drizzled Everclear into the blender, once over the top, before I started, and once after I puree'd them, then gave it a quick pulse, just to mix it up more. Of course I StarSan'd everything that came into contact with the berries before they went into the secondary. Bottled it a little over a week ago, and it tastes perfect! By the way I used 5lbs of fresh raspberries for a five gallon batch, so there was just a few raspberries.

Back