First original recipe could use help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscax

Reaction score
So I was thinking of trying to make a rye stout but I won't both the rye flavor to come through as well as the roasted barley. Here is what I got so far:

8# 2row
1.25# chocolate
4# rye
.75 crystal 80

.5oz haltereu 60 min
1oz williamette 30 min

Saf05 for yeast

I would get rid of the black patent and use roasted barley instead, add some chocolate malt too. Also I would up the rye to at least 20% maybe 30% to taste it against the dark grains.

I've got one in my dropdown that was delicious. You can modify it all you want, or ignore it completely. As the others said, if you want to taste the rye, 10% is much less than 25%.

So I edited the recipe quite a bit and I think it will have more of sweeter flavor with the chocolate instead of the black patent. Let me know what you guys think.

Off the top of my head:

60% 2 Row
25% rye
5% chocolate
5% roasted barley
5% crystal

Maybe more chocolate or roasted barley and less base.

So I just tried this recipe and oh my wow is it drinkable. I wish I would have upped the rye just slightly. You can taste the rye but I was hoping for slightly more.

Back