I brewed this for my 1st 10 gallon batch in my new home about 4 weeks ago. All went well considering it was a new setup that was untested and a fairly complicated brew with all the graham cracker goo to deal with. But it went fairly smooth except for one thing. I disassembled all my equipment, cleaned and sanitized and then put everything back together and forgot to put my bazooka screen back in the keggle! Luckily I only dumped the rice hulls and about 3-4 pounds or grain when I realized my mistake. So I drained some water and put on my high temperature gloves and dove in!
I got the screen on and everything going after about 15 minutes in which I lost a few degrees but I just added some boiling water to get it back to temp and it was good from there. I was actually surprised how well the keggle drained with all the graham crackers. The wort though did look like mud even after primary was complete and I had to pressurize my conical to get it flowing when I racked it. Since I was short on time and wanted some ready by Christmas I added the vanilla to 5 gallons and cold crashed it for the past 2.5 weeks.
Last nightís sample was surprisingly clear with just a hint of vanilla but lots of alcohol. Which is just due to it being so young. I am still going to force carb the 1st 5 gallons so we have something to sip on and I will continue to age the rest until I need to rack it off the vanilla. But so far so good. I canít wait to try this one again once I get my system dialed back in.
Thanks for the recipe!