First brew day on Sunday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaaron91

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My dad and I are going to be brewing our first batch this weekend. We've taken a class at Triad Homebrew Supply in Greensboro, NC so we've got a decent handle on what we think we should be doing.

We're using a Truebrew kit with a glass carboy, and we've got an extra carboy for secondary fermentation as well. We've settled on a orange pale ale for our first recipe. I'll be taking lots pf pictures (im a photography major) all day so I'm sure ill be sharing some photos with y'all.

One question...the guy who instructed our class didnt mention anything about a yeast starter; would be a good idea to do this? We've got an extra fridge and a temperature controller on the way so fermentation will go smoothly.

Any other advice you all wish to share? (Apart from sanitize sanitize sanitize of course!)

Cheers

A yeast starter is always a good idea with liquid yeasts. You will have a faster and more vigorous fermentation. However with a smaller beer you will probably be just fine without one.

First, while it's ok to drink while you're brewing (a must at my house) wait until it's almost done to go crazy.
Personally, I would ask why you feel you need to use a secondary. It's not, in any way, wrong, just mostly unnecessary. Each time you move your beer, you risk infection, oxidation or a spill (accident).
As for a yeast stater, they're always a good idea but if you're using a dry yeast and not going about 1.060, you should be good. I rehydrate my dry yeast but that's just me.

My first beer i just sprinkled the dry yeast on top of the (cooled) wort. The second I mixed it with warm water and let it start, then tossed it in the fermenter before putting in the wort. Both turned out fine.

Starters are good, especially if you decide to culture yeast for future use, you'll start it more. I'm happy with just using dry most of the time.

Whatcha brewin'?

Brewing with dad is awesome. You'll both be totally preoccupied with steps, process, etc, so don't forget to RELAX and ENJOY it. Actually, write that down on your instructions, otherwise you'll forget. Nothing like brewing with your dad.

You may also want to check out Big Dan's Brew Shed which is near PTI airport in the future. I have always had a good experience there and Dan is very knowledgeable.

First, while it's ok to drink while you're brewing (a must at my house) wait until it's almost done to go crazy.
This. Drinking is definitely encouraged, but you don't want to go nuts.

I also always recommend a starter for liquid yeast, unless you're making a yeast-forward beer like a hefeweizen or Belgian. But I made many beers from liquid yeast without starters. Like Beer-lord said, if your OG is below 1.060 you should be okay, but you would be better with a starter.

The best advice I can give is RDWHAHB (if you haven't seen this mantra already: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew." ... or in your case a commercial brew). Things never go as planned, especially when you're starting brewing or changing up your process significantly. There will be speed bumps. Take them in stride and remember that this is supposed to be fun. Don't sweat the little mishaps. No matter what happens, barring some horrible disaster, you will end up making beer.

Being the OP's first beer I do not think it's necessary to start going into the primary, secondary debate or any other highly debated topics so I'll be simple.

If using liquid yeast then, yes a starter is recommended and if you are not sure how to make one let us know
If using dry yeast it is best to re-hydrate it prior to use and again, if not sure let us know we can help

Drinking during brewing is encouraged but in moderation so no one gets hurt and the beer turns out the way it's supposed to with no missed steps

Take your time, pay attention, take notes, be sure to check temperatures, and take an OG/SG - Gravity reading prior to pitching the yeast
Be sure you get the wort down to a temperature below 70 before pitching the yeast
Be sure to watch your fermentation temperature and try to keep it in the mid 60's for an ale recipe, you can search swamp cooler for a simple set up
Pay no regard to any directions that tell you to transfer the beer in 4 days to a secondary. 4 days is not enough.
Allow the beer a week to ferment and then take a gravity, wait another day and take another-you want two of the same readings at FG to ensure fermentation is complete
Once fermentation is complete you can elect to secondary or not (While you are patiently waiting for your beer you can search the countless threads debating this topic and choose what works best for you )

Have a great time with your dad, you 'll have a blast and with care the beer will be awesome!
Cheers!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm starting to think we should skip the secondary fermentation, partially because its not vital, but mostly on the account that with a secondary and bottle conditioning I'll have to go back to school before I can taste it! I just wanna get some beer made and enjoy it.

Question: What would be the best and most sanitary way to check gravity readings in the carboy? Any time the beer is exposed is a chance for contamination, and grabbing a sample could be a bit tricky. I shouldnt just tip the carboy, right? TIA

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm starting to think we should skip the secondary fermentation, partially because its not vital, but mostly on the account that with a secondary and bottle conditioning I'll have to go back to school before I can taste it! I just wanna get some beer made and enjoy it.

Question: What would be the best and most sanitary way to check gravity readings in the carboy? Any time the beer is exposed is a chance for contamination, and grabbing a sample could be a bit tricky. I shouldnt just tip the carboy, right? TIA

simplest way is to use a wine theif. since a carboy has a very small opening, and you're not leaving it open for long periods, and you can see through it, you're very safe using this process.

wait for the krausen to fall (1-2 week on average), then pop your airlock and stopper, and thief enough beer to do your readings with a SANITIZED thief. This is why a lot of guys will keep a jug of sanitizer in the fridge so they can spot sanitize as opposed to making more sanitizer every time. do your measurement and put the stopper/airlock back in place. if your at your expected FG, you can proceed to bottling, or check again daily to verify you get the same reading every time.

You can also put some of your wort in a bottle next to your carboy, with a paper towel stuffed into the mouth. this will allow airflow, but still allow the wort to ferment. DO NOT DRINK THIS!!!! you can use this "sacrificial" bottle to test for FG readings without opening your actual beer. also check the FG of your actual beer before you bottle/keg.

Get a spray bottle. Mix 1 gallon of distilled water (99c at walgreens) with proper dilution of starsan, then fill a spray bottle. Perfect for incidental sanitizing like samples. 30 seconds wet contact time is all that's needed.

As for pulling the samples, I use a wine thief, but many use a turkey baster. Both work great.

It's harder than you think to infect a beer, so sample away. It's fun.

And skip the secondary, not necessary. It's July dude, it'll be ready before you go back to school. 2 weeks primary plus 2-3 weeks for bottle conditioning...no problem.

Latest posts

Back