Does being in the dark help clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMH

Reaction score
Once mead is placed into the secondary, is it necessary to store the carboy in the dark? As it sits its in a cool room in my basment in the farthest corner from any sunlight. Would placing it in the dark help for clearing or matter in any way, kinda read some conflicating ideas and had no idea if this was necessary to do or not?

Once mead is placed into the secondary, is it necessary to store the carboy in the dark? As it sits its in a cool room in my basment in the farthest corner from any sunlight. Would placing it in the dark help for clearing or matter in any way, kinda read some conflicating ideas and had no idea if this was necessary to do or not?

No darkness won't help with flocculation. Keeping it in the dark will prevent any skunkiness, though. I throw old dark (navy or black) shirts on my carboys to prevent light exposure. Definitely keep it in the dark!

ok thinks, there is no kind of "skunkiness" as I can tell, no off odors or any thing like that, and it was just originally brewed I believe may 21ish, so its not all that old as of yet, just didn't want to end up messing up my first attempt.

I have no idea what is being alluded to with the phrase "skunkiness", as I've had no problems with light.

What could help it clear quicker is cool storage/cold crashing......

I was assuming jessup was referring to an off or bad odor? Just wanted to make sure I was storing it right, its not getting any direct light or anything, just not in a dark room.

Skunkiness is a beer term and alludes to what happens when you leave a beer in the sun. Basically the hops react in such a way that it smells and tastes like a skunks fart. You wont get that in mead unless its hopped, but depending on ingredients it may affect the colour. If you have somewhere dark, great. If you dont I wouldnt panic.

Back