Stuck Fermentation....Help Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sciwife2007

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer last Fri (4/20).....it fermented great at 70-73 degrees through Sat. (4/21)....On sun. the temp dropped to 63.....SG 1.044....on Sun. did some research took anoher hydrometer reading...1.020.....has been this since then.....Warmed it up to 70 degrees...stirred it up to "acivate the dormant yeast".....Still nothing....The company I bought it from says to move it to the secondary fermentation.....Is that right?.....Yes, it was the cheap yeast that comes with the kit.....

What do I do.....How do I fix this???? Temp control is a problem as I live in NC and only have window units and baseboard heat.....80 during the day 35 at night.....Is my beer going to suck?

Please help!

Thanks

Your yeast might have finished the majority of the fermentation in the first day and half with temps that high and you may get some esters but depending on the yeast maybe not fusel tastes.

I have heard of extracts (only experienced it once with the 4 extracts I have done) stopping at 1.020 and not being able to finish. You may be stuck stuck but maybe someone else can help.

I never had any luck getting my extract brews past .020. You might be SOL. Let that beer go and sit for a couple weeks and start on the next 1!

Give it some more time. It has only been a week. Leave the beer on the original yeast for another week or two and check the gravity then.

I never had any luck getting my extract brews past .020.

I don't understand this. I have done a ton of extract or partial mash beers and never had a problem getting them to finish where they are supposed to. I have had extract brews finish as low as 1.003. Of course that was a Saison using 3711.

i have an amber which has been stuck at 1.024 for the last 4 days. i'm thinking about pitching some safale 5 but not sure if this would do any good. anyone know? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back