So, what might the effect of 3x lactose be in a milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killer

Reaction score
Oops, I goofed, rather than 5 oz in the southern tier creme brûlée milk stout, I put in 16oz.......

That's what I get for multi-tasking....

Killer

yeah, just do another batch (2X original recipe) and mix with the original batch at bottling....1/2 of the concentrate for 1 and 1/2 for the other 1.

Are you making 5 gallons? And how big OG-wise is the beer? I have used a full # in a 5 gallon beer before and it was tasty, albeit was pretty sweet (note a different kind of sweet).

I used a full lb in my only batch of milk stout. As I understand it some of the sugar will ferment out, but not much, it was very tasty, sweet, but very tasty. No more so than some belgians and other stouts I enjoy drinking.

i thought a full lb was pretty common in a milk stout. you'll be fine.

I dont think it will be overly sweet. Left Hands milk Stouts Clone called for 12oz and I used the whole pound. It was smooth, creamy, & delicious!

Thanks all for the responses.

I chose to toss the attempt out and do it again per recipe, second batch is in primary now after hitting my #'s. I know i could have probably salvaged it, but I'm weird like that.

Good news is I have 11oz of lactose now for another recipe.....

Thx again,
Killer

killer said:
Thanks all for the responses.

I chose to toss the attempt out and do it again per recipe, second batch is in primary now after hitting my #'s. I know i could have probably salvaged it, but I'm weird like that.

Good news is I have 11oz of lactose now for another recipe.....

Thx again,
Killer

You better not decide it needs more lactose. At least don't post it here cause we told ya so ;)

Back