hydorgen peroxide vs oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPFITNESS

Reaction score
did some searching but not finding a whole lot. True or False, I can use hydrogen peroxide solution instead of oxiclean to clean fermenters and remove bottle labels? I'm testing it out now but curious for experienced users. I have some peroxide at home, planning to get oxiclean but just curious. Peroxide is dirt cheap. if it works, how much peroxide per gallon of water?

I've never used Hydrogen peroxide side but the mechanism would work in the same way. Reacting with oxygen to disrupt cell membranes.

It is already at a dilution factor that enable this mechanism. Dilution in water would also catalyse the reaction.
Seems like a lot of work, and annoying and without being able to dilute would be much more expensive. and cant be reused

I've never used Hydrogen peroxide side but the mechanism would work in the same way. Reacting with oxygen to disrupt cell membranes.

It is already at a dilution factor that enable this mechanism. Dilution in water would also catalyse the reaction.
Seems like a lot of work, and annoying and without being able to dilute would be much more expensive. and cant be reused

I'm a little confused? Are you saying that Hydorgen Peroxide is already diluted therefore I would essentially need gallons of peroxide as opposed to oxyclean where I just use a scoop and then fill with water? I'm not sure I understand what your talking about reusing either? people reuse oxiclean? I'm not talking about sanitizing, I'm talking about for cleaning purposes. I know some sanitizers people mixup and keep in a bottle and they last for a bit.

You would need to use a H2O2 solution of a certain percentage. I believe drug store brown bottle is 3% H2O2. You can buy "shock" at a pool supply store which is essentially H2O2 at around 10%. Don't get it on yourself. It burns.

You would need to use a H2O2 solution of a certain percentage. I believe drug store brown bottle is 3% H2O2. You can buy "shock" at a pool supply store which is essentially H2O2 at around 10%. Don't get it on yourself. It burns.

correct, drug store is at 3%. so your saying that is the proper percentage and watering it down renders it no good?

CPFITNESS said:
correct, drug store is at 3%. so your saying that is the proper percentage and watering it down renders it no good?

I'm no chemist and haven't looked into it(yet) but I would assume you would need a higher percentage than 3%. Also, it is only going to remove organic matter. You will still have to rinse and scrub or use an acid for inorganics.

Oxyclean also contains soda ash which is an alkaline substance (pH 10) if I remember correctly. This is what gives it the soapy feel. The sodium carbonate should help with the inorganic matter.

It doesn't look like you are gonna save any money with peroxide. Commercial food grade H2O2 is 35% solution. I found some information about diluting it but only 50/50. I use PBW, oxiclean, and starsan.

Another DIY is chlorine bleach and white vinegar. I'm not going to give instructions because it can be dangerous. Basically you have to acidify the bleach with the vinegar. Go too far and you start off gassing chlorine gas. Difficulty breathing and death follows.

did some more research and it seems that a lot of people are taking straight peroxide and putting it on a sponge and applying it to things so you guys are probably right. I'm not looking for a long term solution I'm just trying to brew tomorrow and wanted to get a head start on getting some stuff cleaned and some labels off bottles. I'll just push my timetable back and get oxiclean tomorrow

5 gal warm water + 1 oz bleach + 1 oz vinegar

In that order. Mix between additions.

It's practically all I use. Do a search and you'll see others do too. It's in the sticky at the top of this sub-forum too.

If you just wanna clean, use how water and bleach tonight, dry every thing and you'll be good as new come tomorrow. The chlorine smell evaporates out overnight.

Back