Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner brewer

Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Jtallica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginner brewer

Hi all!

I am new to brewing. I have only done one batch since starting out which was moderately successful. I have since moved out of town to a cattle property and the only water source is bore water. I am just wondering if this is ok to use in my brew? Any advice would be great.

Cheers guys.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
ajm163
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

can you tell me what "bore" water is.... is this well water??

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Jtallica
Recipes 

Bore water is ground water which accumulates in aquifers from seepage of rain and rivers through layers of soil and rock.
A water bore is a way of gaining access to these groundwater sources.
An aquifer is formed through layers of sand
or fractured rock in which the pore spaces or fractures are filled with water. These formations store and transmit ground water which can be accessed by using a water pump.
Some bore water contains chemical and microbiological hazards that are potentially harmful to health. These hazards may occur naturally or be due to contamination.

Found that on the net.

As far as I know it's all run through a **** load of filters out there on the property so it's totally safe to drink etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Balto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's actually no different than a drilled well.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Many of us brew with well, or, bored water. But we also know that water is made up of different levels of ions in different locations of well water. The best way to find out if your water is good as is, or, in need of changing is to get a water test.

Check out the Brew Science form here and you will be on the right track. Good people in there to help.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Exbeerienced
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Check out Ward Labs. Very reasonable prices. I see they now have a section specifically for home brewers. Very cool!

https://producers.wardlab.com/default.aspx

Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
venquessa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A lot of city water is only filtered through 3 meters of peat or less charcoal. The only thing that would concern me with well/bore water is how long has it been sitting still after it has been filtered through all that rock/sand. City water has chlorine (etc.) added to help prevent bacteria growth if the water sits still for a time.

You won't be the only one looking for that water, everything alive in the area will also be trying to live on it or in it.