Water wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi86

Reaction score
Has any one made " wine " with out the fruit ? Im curious as to how sugar wine would taste, undoubtably it wouldn't be tasty but curiosity is killin me. Just water suger and yeast, lemme know what your thoughts are

Did you ever see the movie "Super-Size Me"? Remember how greasy and unhealthy he looked at the end?

That's what sucrose is to yeast- junk food. They can digest a bit of it, but they need the other sugars and carbohydrates to function properly.

Crap in, crap out- times 200 billion yeast.

bodhi86 said:
Has any one made " wine " with out the fruit ? Im curious as to how sugar wine would taste, undoubtably it wouldn't be tasty but curiosity is killin me. Just water suger and yeast, lemme know what your thoughts are

I did the liqour thing for my wife. The base was an a$$ load of sugar and turbo yeast. Once done fermenting it was around 20% abv and it tasted like cheap watery sweet vodka. Once I ran it through a carbon snake it was like weak vodka. That being said I would be surprised if something really good could be made from just sugar and water other than kool aid.

So I'll need yeast nutrient too then?

It'll ferment, but not into anything tasty. Without the right food, all the vitamins in the world won't keep them from throwing off weird flavors. The only real point to doing what you suggest would be to create feedstock for a still (moonshining, really)

You'd get much better results dumping a bottle of Smirnoff into a jug of spring water.

Thx guys, at least now my curiosity is sated enough to not try it, lol

Ever look at skeeterpee?

You're not really giving the yeast anything special with bottled lemon juice.. essentially the yeast is eating (invert) sugar and yeast nutrient. I think this is why the author recommends using an established slurry - several billion cells can eat just a little sugar each.

That's not to say that it isn't incredibly tasty :D sugar water is a viable neutral base for all manner of flavorings.. but it ain't wine proper!

Check out a a simple mead recipe...might be close to what ur looking for

ya i got a buckwheat mead cyser going right now,i just want to ferment anything i can get my hands on right now, igot2 one gallon carboys for experimenting and a 3 gallonfor tried and true recipes

Back