Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > aspirin tasting homebrew

Old 12-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
amcclai7
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default aspirin tasting homebrew

I think I have finally ruined a batch. Fortunately, it was only a 2.8 gal batch. It is a watermelon wheat beer in which I used 5lbs of watermelon, frozen and then thawed, in the fermenter. When I first tried a bottle after about 1.5 weeks the watermelon flavor was there and meshed nicely with the wheat. However there was this medicinal uncoated aspirin taste, slightly, but noticeably there on the finish. I was hoping it was just yeast bite but each successive bottle I have tried has only gotten worse.

Some questions.

Do you think this is from the watermelon? I never had a contamination before (and I have done a Mango IPA the same way as this watermelon beer) and the watermelon seems to be the most likely culprit.

Has anyone here ever had this same taste in their beer? and if so, what did you deem the culprit to be?

Is there anything I can do to save it? Heat it, freeze it, let it sit for 6 months? Barring all that is there something I can add to the beer to counteract the taste? I have tried OJ and grenadine, both to no avail.

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3340 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 2105

That is not a flavor I recognize, unless by Aspirin you mean medicinal. From John Palmer's How to Brew - By John Palmer website:

"Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors."

Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Sounds like fermentation temps- what temperature are you fermenting your beer?

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was thinking fermentation temps or sanitation.

In addition to fermentation temps what are you using to sanitize?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
amcclai7
Recipes 

Fermentation temps were right at 70 or below the whole time and I use the star san no rinse stuff. Both of those variables have been exactly the same with each batch and all have turned out well. My strong guess is the watermelon.

The only thing to do, I think, is to wait on it for several months. I've heard many people say that they've had batches that were undrinkable at the beginning and after 4-5 months they were great. I know this is not likely, but I've got the space so why not? The only question then would be fridge or room temp. My bet is fridge.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Room temp,my beers ive used cinnimon,pumpkin,or other things have gotten better.You could put some in the fridge to see the difference though. I always go with time if mine dont seem to taste right yet. Although im talking flavors,so unless you had water or sanitizer issues then that is different.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcclai7 View Post
I've heard many people say that they've had batches that were undrinkable at the beginning and after 4-5 months they were great.
Those are the people you don't take brewing advice from.

_

Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
amcclai7
Recipes 

I don't know. This forum http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...-story-191824/ is filled with story after story of bad beer turning good, or at least drinkable, over time. Just search, "don't dump your beer" and dozens of threads come up. I've also had many brewers in person tell me the same thing. My idea is just that, I've got the room why not give it a shot?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

If its undrinkable at first you have major adjustments to make.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have had a couple that I deemed undrinkable that did get better with age. Those however were due to an over powering adjunct such as too much coriander. So if it is the watermelon there is a chance it may mellow and become more drinkable but it will likely never taste awesome. Another I let mellow stayed awful. It tasted just like you were sucking on a bandaid. This is the first one I took the advice of the the link you posted above and let it mellow trying it over the course of 14 months. After 14 months it still tasted like you were sucking on a fresh bandaid.