Fermenting 7.5 gallons in 8.7 fermenter w foam control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, especially if the fermentation temperatures are controlled and the temperature stays under 70 degrees. It seems like a hot fermentation can get more explosive than a fermentation at proper temperatures.

I don't think I ever have more than 1.5 gallons of headspace, and I don't use Ferm-cap. I've never had a problem, except one time when my temperature control was not in place and it got above 75 degrees, in a wheat beer. What a mess!

It will depend on yeast health, and type of yeast.

FermCap does not seem to do anything to Belgian yeasts. If you have a healthy pitch with a Belgian yeast, it will blow-off with a 0.5 gallon head space.

I use FermCap and have slowly been reducing my headspace. I've gotten to around 0.5 gallons (in a 7 gallon fermenter) and have started getting blow-off in every batch, when I didn't before. It's not much, but enough to fill the airlock, and if I don't get to it soon enough will plug the airlock and blow it off.

I'm back to using a tube on every batch again. I don't lose any beer (except for Belgians) as the foam does not get high enough in the tube to go out the other end. I use a swamp cooler to keep temperatures in check.

Back