Cali V not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astewart

Reaction score
I thought this one would be simple and straight forward.

A few weeks back I did a pale ale similar to some of the 'house' ales seen here. Everything seemed to go fine, into the bucket and showing activity in less than 24 hours. I started it upstairs at about 74 degrees, once the activity started I moved it to the basement in about 66 or 67 degrees. I left it in the primary for a week and transferred to the secondary. At transfer time the yeast smell was very evident (like a strong German Hefe) and the brew was VERY cloudy. After about 4 days without any apparent clearing I added some gelatin, left it at room temp in the basement for about a week and a half (still VERY cloudy) then decided to put it in the Keezer to see if that helps. The temp is at 38 degrees but it just is not clearing. Any thoughts??

Did you take any gravity readings? Seems like you went by time rather than gravity. You should not be racking and fining a beer if you don't know if it is finished.

WLP051 is a good flocculater, you should have waited till it dropped to rack and fine.

Is this a 1st generation or have you re-pitched it a few times?

Edit: 74F is much too warm. Start them in your basement. The initial temp after pitching is the most crucial time for ester production. Also, starting warm then dropping the temps is doing no favors to your yeast. They don't like that!

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I did wait til fermentation was about at expected finish. I dont usually worry too much if it hasn't completely finished since I let them sit in the secondary for a few weeks. It may have been at 1.015 instead of 1.013 but it was ok.
This was a smack pac - so first gen.
The package instructs to keep it above 70 until fermentation is going. I haven't used this strain in prior brews and I usually keep the whole process in the 65 degree area but I figured I would follow the directions since I had not used the strain before.

After the initial 24 hours the rest of the first three or so weeks it was in 66 -67 degrees prior to the move to the keezer. Still not clearing. I will just let it sit there unless I need the room, I was expecting to be drinking this by now though.

Well, after about a month in the keezer I have no improvement to report. As a step to see what happens I have pulled it out of the keez to room temp. Honestly in my mind this is a pre-dumping step. I'll see if anything happens over the next couple of weeks - if it still does nothing to improve this will be my first dumped batch. I have had batches that no one else would drink (not very good) but I have 'disposed' of a pint at a time over many months. Hey I made it so I drink it.

The best way to gelatin is to have the beer as cold as possible before you put it in. Sounds like you did it warm. I had trouble getting this yeast to clear to but with low temps and time, it got there. Good Luck!

I put the gelatin in a week or so after moving it to the secondary the temp was about 63. I have had it at about 38 degrees for the last month, it really does not look any better.

did i miss something? Does it taste bad? Cause if your dumping it causes its cloudy you can send some my way:)

I would describe the taste as - very yeasty- is yeasty a word??
Not at all enjoyable.

Back