Tasted a bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1vh1

Reaction score
I saw some slimy particles floating in one of my bottles, so I figured it was infected. I wanted to save my room from a beer explosion, so I craked it open.

When I did, I got an olde faithful of beer--- after only 4 days. I gave it a taste, and it had a weird taste. I can only begin to describe it as a mouth feel of a very dry wine, with a similar tart aftertaste. It did have a "beery" taste - but only so much. Does this sound infected? I hope it was only this one bottle.

Hard to tell. The beer is certainly very green and the CO2 hasn't had a chance to work its way into the liquid. The floaties were almost certainly just yeast, soggy hops and other sediment. That will all sink in time (especially after chilling).

Give them more time to carbonate and condition. It's probably too soon to tell.

1vh1 said:
I saw some slimy particles floating in one of my bottles, so I figured it was infected. I wanted to save my room from a beer explosion, so I craked it open.

When I did, I got an olde faithful of beer--- after only 4 days. I gave it a taste, and it had a weird taste. I can only begin to describe it as a mouth feel of a very dry wine, with a similar tart aftertaste. It did have a "beery" taste - but only so much. Does this sound infected? I hope it was only this one bottle.

If the other bottles are okay you probably had a bottle with a piece of label in it or some other contaminant. I had this problem for a couple of batches. 1-2 bombs. All had labels in them or other black stuff that I could not identify. Now of course I do a thorough visual inspection when cleaning bottles.

Only after 4 days? There is your problem! Give it 2 weeks MINIMUM to carbonate and settle. 3 weeks is best. It will explode as all the CO2 is stuck in the dead space, not in the actual beer yet, so bursts out and causes foaming over.

As for the taste, it is young. Give it time. Be patient. The floaty things are most likely yeast.

Leave the beers alone for 2 weeks. Check on it then. Report back to us.

Yes to that. At 4 days,it's still completely green. Hence the taste & floaters. 3 weeks is the minimum at room temp to properly condition. Patience is the most important word in the brewer's vocabulary. You can't cheat time at it's own game when it comes to brewing beer.

I have to disagree. Yes, four days is early but "slimy", gushing, and sour tasting sound like a lacto infection. Hopefully, it's just one bottle and the others are fine!

Like Yooper, I think that bottle was infected. 4 days IMO isn't enough time for yeast to produce that much carbonation, and it wouldn't be a gusher like that either.

Back