Something In My Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chja

Reaction score
I have done 2 batches now and I noticed that there is some white chunks in the beer. The beer doesn't taste bad and I really don't think its infected but what could that be from? Could it be from not using enough water when sanitizing my bottles? I also noticed that the white stuff is giving off a lot of bubbles so could it be too much sugar? Just curious if anyone has had this happen to them....

White chunks in the finished beer, i.e. after you pour it out of the bottle? That's kinda weird... how long have they been in the bottles? If it's been less than a week or so (Revvy is about to show up and say 3 weeks, maybe he's right) then maybe it's just cuz the fermentation to carb it up is still going on -- and we all know fermentation can look weird.

It's in both batches, or just one? If just one, maybe we could see the recipe? If it tastes fine, it doesn't sound like infection... but I have trouble guessing what else it could be.

I guess it was in both batches then I didn't notice any in the first one after I poured one a week ago so maybe it is just carbing up, Ill crack open another one of my first one to see if there is anything in it.

Another thing to ask: are you being careful to not pour the last 1/4 inch or so from the bottle? You should definitely have a fine yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle that could wind up poured into your glass if you're not careful, and that might look like white chunks...

Another thing to ask: are you being careful to not pour the last 1/4 inch or so from the bottle? You should definitely have a fine yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle that could wind up poured into your glass if you're not careful, and that might look like white chunks...

Oh geez, I didn't even think of this when I read the OP, I bet that's it. Now that I think about it, when I pour the last 1/4" into the sink, sometimes it has what I might describe as "white chunks" in it.

Yah, I've seen white chunks in my beer before and it ended up being yeast...just capture some if you can and find out if it is hard or soft...if it is soft, it is most likely yeast. If this is the case, perhaps the beer just needs to sit in the bottles a while longer while all of the yeast gets compacted on the bottom of the bottle a little better.

Well that's gotta be it because I didn't know you weren't supposed to pour the last 1/4 inch in the bottle. Is there a way to prevent the yeast from being siphoned into the bottle?

Well you actually want the yeast in the bottles, since that is what carbs it up. The yeast eat the small amount of sugar you prime with and make CO2. They then go dormant and fall to the bottom. So with out yeast in the bottle no carbonation. Note this is only true for carbonating in the bottle.

Yeah, if that 1/4" really bugs you, then you need to go to a force-carbed keg system. If you were really hardcore about keeping the yeast out, you could even use Polyclar or some other serious post-fermentation fining agent to precipitate all the yeast out before you keg it.

Back